Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I woke up, feeling like shit. I had panicked to the point where my body was aching from being that tense and shivery and the tissue surrounding the wounds I had gotten while fleeing the hunters was still tense and bruised. My head hurt from lack of nutrients and water and I still needed to shower because I was starting to smell. At least if I was being smelly, no one would lay their hands at me.

I rolled to the other side towards the window to be able to look outside. I could see the garden and the glass trees glinting in the distance. I liked this room, it had something majestic without being too on the nose with it. I would heavily prefer the other room over this one, though. With all the shiny decoration, expensive furniture and fancy curtains I was unfit to occupy it. I didn't want to get into anymore trouble as I already was.

I got out of bed, seeing a set of clothes as well as a pair of greek sandals. It was the same attire the other servants had worn except everyone had a different color scheme and mine seemed to be navy blue and leather. I pulled the Chiton over my head, trying to avoid smearing the dirt all over it and tying the sandals to my ankles. I could find that pretty if I had to. There had been a tiny note, instructing me to go get a bath, eat breakfast and let either Nolan or Mateo introduce me to my new job. 

I felt bad that I had ruined the bed and brushed over the linen to get rid of the folds and adjusted the pillows and blankets on top of it. At least I could manage to clean up after myself if I used things that didn't belong to me. As I snuck out of the room, Mateo came out of the one that was connected to this one on the right side, giving me a surprised look.

"What did you do in there" He asked suspiciously, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"I slept in there?" I explained but it sounded more like a question.

"Are you suicidal?" He inquired, making me shrink back from him.

"No?" I offered.

"Wrong." He deduced, gesturing towards the door. "Yes, you are if you were sleeping in our master's room."

"What?" I stuttered confused. "No, I wasn't... I mean, I was but I didn't knew. He made me."

Oh, no. I was done for. Deader than dead. A servant wasn't supposed to touch their masters' things, especially not use them for personal things. Cleaning was fine. Sleeping in it? Not so much. I swallowed hard, fidgeting around. It wasn't my fault but that didn't matter. He may have invited me but that didn't mean I was supposed to take that offer.  Everyone knew that you had to pay for favors and if you didn't have money, you needed to give up your body. Some were able to do that but I most certainly wasn't.

"Breakfast?" Mateo said after a quiet while of me nervously looking for an exit.

"I'm supposed to shower first." I said as I handed him the note.

"It doesn't say anything about any kind of order." He concluded, looking at it.

"It comes first in the sentence." I argued, pointing at the neat hand writing.

"You are weird." Mateo stated, shaking his head. "I will show you where you can take a bath."

With that, he just turned around and walked down the hallway. I hurried up to be able to follow him. I wondered if he still hated me for having ruined his trees but didn't dare to ask him. He opened a door right next to the staircase that led back downstairs and basically shoved me inside. I almost slipped since the marble tiles on the ground were still wet but he didn't seem to care.

"Bathing supplies are in the cabinet over there. Meet me in the kitchen after you are done." He said as he closed the door. "You do remember how to get there, right?"