Chapter 9: Memories and Acceptances

Rogue’s POV
Black. Red. White. Grey. Brown. Memories. All I could see was darkness. All I could hear was screaming. Jean’s screaming. Insanity, that’s what they had called it. Fear. Anxiety. Every emotion that Jean was feeling consumed me. Terror. Regret. Colours and images flashed before my eyes. A voice broke through the screams. A calm voice, steady and commanding. To me it was little more than a whisper, but it meant that someone was with me. Helping me.
“Rogue!” the voice repeated continuously. My name, nothing else that I could hear. I wanted to listen but I didn’t know how. I couldn’t anymore. Flashes. Images of Raven and Jean. Scott and Logan. The Professor and Ororo. Friends. People who had protected me, treated me like family. Where were they now? Did they know where I was? I don’t know where I am. Cold. Everything became grey with the cold.

Ororo’s POV
Poor Rogue. I walked in to her room to find her unconscious on the ground. I picked her up. I only noticed that her arms were bare once I had laid her on the bed. It didn’t matter, the trauma caused by recent events had made her powers to shut down. Charles came in only a few seconds later to check on her. After he had seen her he sighed, placed his right hand on her head and began to work. He was searching through her mind, trying to find Jean. I decided to leave him alone at this point, but before I could, Rogue screamed.
“Professor!” she cried. She was sitting bolt upright staring into space, eyes wide in fear. She didn’t appear to be able to see or hear anything but she was speaking, screaming at us.
“Professor,” she repeated, “The Phoenix, she’s coming for the school!”

Charles’ POV
Coming for the school. She can’t, she could destroy us all. Or worse, she could take control of the school and turn us all into a mutant army. I had no more time to spend helping Rogue. If I helped only her then I could put the whole world at risk. The good of the many. I sent Ororo to find Scott and Logan while I checked Cerebro. Nothing. But wait, there was the faintest sign. Raven. I knew where she was, which meant I knew where the Phoenix was. I headed up to the Blackbird and found that Ororo, Logan, and Scott, as well as Hank, had already strapped themselves into their seats. I told Storm where to take us, and as we took off I knew that if I had just killed Jean when she was younger everything would have been okay.

Years ago, when Jean was only about 6 years old, her parents had contacted me to help them. Jean’s powers were out of control, I thought that if I sealed the majority of her powers behind a psychic barrier then everything would be fixed. I knew all too well that there was the possibility that she would form into two personalities, but she was just a child I couldn’t kill her. The good of the many…