Chapter 5

As soon as I enter the palace, I'm swarmed by servants and maids, they sweep me away before I could say goodbye to anyone. They strip me and put me in the tub for a wash. I definitely need one too. My feet were muddy, and my hair was matty and wet. My skin is raw from the freezing water at The Falls. I sink into the boiling hot water, letting it warm me up from the outside in. I stay in there until the water turned warm, washing my hair and scrubbing myself clean. As I step out of the bath, one of my maids, I believed her name was Christine, grabs a warm, soft towel and wrap it around my body. We stepped out of the bathroom and into my bedchambers. Christine handed me my robe and sat me down in front of my vanity.

"Queen Evelyn suggested an updo? How does that sound Princess?" Christine was the only one who asks me what I want now a day. It makes me feel better.

Christine was a beautiful girl. Around nineteen years of age, she has long, black raven hair deep and beautiful, nut brown eyes that seem to go on forever. Apparently, we grew up together, not as friends like Ki and I, but sometimes we would play with each other as children do.

I look at her through the mirror and smiled softly.

"An updo is fine Christine, thank you." Christine nods and begins her work. After two hours of doing style after style, we decided on a beautiful bohemian updo. I look at the time and swear, getting up from the vanity. I barely had time to change. I slip into a beautiful black gown. It was a bridal long bishop with sleeves off the shoulder and a sweetheart neckline. Christine gently takes my wrist and tugs on my bracelet.

"Princess, you're going to need to take this off, your mother requested that you only wear jewelry that she hand-picked." I slip my hand away from her and shake my head.

"No, it stays" Christine starts to protest but nods, not daring to disagree with her future Queen.

I walk out of my room to find Kira waiting for me, she always knows when I need some alone time, usually after I come home from The Falls or just got done with an intense training lesson. I smile and link arms with hers as we make our way to the ballroom door. I let go of my best friends arm and stand in front of the door. When it opens in front of me, a colossal staircase sits, there are thousands of people. The room is filled with joyous laughter and loud discussions over little things. The room suddenly becomes hushed, I stare down at everyone as I let a small smile play on my face.

Be in charge but do not be a monster. Do not be like your mother Adara. I start to speak, my voice assertive and full of life.

"Thank you for coming tonight everyone. I'm very pleased that all of you are in support of me being the next ruler of your Kingdom." When I finish my sentence, the crowd starts to cheer loudly. My mouth twitches into a small frown. They are routing for a queen who doesn't even want to rule. What would they think about that? I shake off the thoughts that run through my head and continue my speech.

"As you all know we are at war with the Glacies." I hear a series of mutters and a couple of boos from the male occupants of the room.

"I know a queens' kingdom is as strong as her, but I am not strong without my people! Help me fight for my realm some of you so faithfully protect!" I gesture to house Lenta, whose cousins of lord Edurus, who fought in the front lines with the other soldiers. Along with house Zoros, whose sons and daughters helped heal wounded soldiers.

"Prior queens have kept you in the dark, but I will not. Help me, and I'll get you out and give you a place of light, right by my side!" The crowd cheers loudly. I feel heat rippling behind me then a voice booms in my ear, quieting the crowd. I slowly make my way down the stairs, the heard started to separate. The first to greet me is Chelsea. Her dress is a swirl of silver and purple, jewels that gleaming wherever she walks, it makes her look like a sparkling bug. Standing behind her is Kai Nelle, now in charge of the Nelle family.