under the mistletoe

christmas truly was the most wonderful time of the year.

the smell of freshly-baked cookies being made in the oven, the sound of the crinkling wrapping paper being torn open on christmas morning.

as a matter of fact, it was both micheal wheeler and eleven hopper's favorite holiday.

it was the christmas of 1985, and christmas tunes were blaring throughout the wheeler household.

karen wheeler had a confused expression laced across her face as she saw her son running frantically throughout the house, making sure that every detail was perfect for the annual wheeler christmas eve party.

"nancy, you're doing this all wrong!" mike scolded his older sister as she decorated the sugar cookies that had just popped out of the oven with frosting.

"what do you mean 'i'm doing this all worng!'" nancy raised her arms defensively.

nancy, holly, and karen all knew the only reason mike was obsessing over every little increment was because he wanted the party to be good enough for his girlfriend, el.

hell, even ted knew.

"i mean that they don't even look good!" mike groaned, rolling his eyes.

"el won't care how they look." nancy retorted, crossing her arms.

"what does this have to do with el?!" mike said, causing both karen and nancy to glance at each other with a devious smirk plastered across their faces.

"don't play dumb, mike. you and everyone else knows that the only reason you're helping is because you want to impress el." nancy teased, nudging her younger brother's shoulder.

"t-that's not true!" mike lied, stumbling over his words.

"whatever helps you sleep at night." nancy lightly laughed, ruffling his hair and then rushing back up to the comfort of her bedroom.

mike rolled his eyes once again before turning to his mom, who was trying to cover up her small fits of laughter.

"what time will el, i-i mean, people get here?" mike asked, trying to cover up his mistake.

"wow. you really like this girl, huh?" karen tilted her head, placing her hand on her hip.

"it's none of your business, mom!" mike yelled, running down to the basement.

"she'll be here in an hour!" karen hollered.

"-and that's where i was conceived!" dustin said with a proud smile across his face.

the rest of the party stared at their curly-haired friend, dumbfounded.

"why the hell would you tell us that?!" lucas uttered ghastly, placing a protective arm around his ginger-haired girlfriend's waist.

mike couldn't help but feel a tad bit envious as he saw lucas and max smushed together, sneakily kissing each other every so often. although eleven was coming, she still hadn't arrived at the party yet.

"i don't know. i think it's a fun conversation starter." dustin shrugged, leaning back on one of the chairs in the wheeler's basement.