Chapter 3

Okay so... Frigga died when Thor and Loki were teenagers in this story, simply because I think it suits my plot better :) Are you enjoying the story? Is there anything in particular you want to happen? Let me know. REVIEWS GIVE ME LIFE

Desperately trying to block out the sounds of a shrieking toddler, Tony threw back his third glass of Dalmore 62, hands shaking with fear and guilt.

----Flashback----

"Loki, show yourself,"

Mere moments later, the very solid air right in front of Tony's face shimmered like a mirage, the very solid air particles molding into a petite humanoid figure with curly black hair and distinctive green eyes-

His fist shot out before he could stop it, those pools of horridly familiar emerald sparking some sort of primal reaction deep within him. This was the guy who killed hundreds of people, brainwashed his best friend and threw him out of a fucking window three months ago.

Then again, the "Invader-of-New-York" Loki had managed to walk off an encounter with the Hulk.

This child... didn't.

"What were you thinking?" Thor hissed lowly above the loud sobs of discontent from the youngster. Tony glanced up, cringing at the unmistakable mask of fury slapped across Thor's face. Beside the imposing God, a tiny Loki was clutching his eye, his little nose wrinkled in pain.

"I didn't-I thought... shit, I panicked-sorry-,"

"Enough!" Thor snarled, forcing Tony's excuses to die in his throat. "I never should have come here for guidance. If you tell a single soul about my brother's escape, I will hunt you and make you regret your birth, Stark."

Tony wheezed in shock and held up his hands in a placating gesture. He had witnessed the Thunderer in many states but he had never shown such clear aggression towards him.

The child behind Thor was scowling up at him, his tiny face twisted in confusion, fear and anger. A few wisps of weak green bled from his fingers to heal his black eye.

"Look, buddy, calm down," Tony reassured the Thunderer quietly, keeping his hands in the air as he stepped behind the counter. "I'm sorry, okay? I flipped- that was all kinds of fucking wrong, yeah?" the billionaire took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair. "I don't want you going off somewhere and getting in trouble, just- let me help? Please? You've got Tony Stark begging, you should feel privileged."

"You lay a hand on my brother again-," Thor warned, his fingers itching towards Mjolnir in confidence. Tony scoffed and shook his head before he could even finish his sentence.

"It was just a knee jerk reaction, bud. I promise."

"You're-,"

"Thor, just trust me a little, 'kay?" Tony interrupted. He supposed it was awfully ironic, as he had just punched a kid in the face.

"I thought Iron Man was a good man?" A little voice shocked Tony out of his thoughts. He watched mutely as the little God of Mischief tugged on his brother's shirtsleeve.

"He is, little one," Thor sighed, lifting the bright-eyed child into his arms and settling him in the crook of his elbow. The bruise had faded completely now, but the use of magic had apparently exhausted the youngster, who slumped tonelessly into his big brother's neck. Loki's magic abilities had apparently depleted with his age. "He was just frightened."

Tony finally noticed just how bone-weary the older God appeared, his usually vibrant azure eyes dull with pain and concern. His little brother looked no better, the simple clothes on his body seemingly torn (probably from the Bifrost), his face paler than usual and drawn with fatigue. The mechanic had many, questions... but they could wait until his guests were fully sated and rested. Wow, Pepper would be so proud of the selflessness he was exhibiting right now.

"Frightened?" the little voice returned, snapping the billionaire out of his thoughts. It was hard to remember that this weeping child was Loki Odinson. "But why would he be scared of me? Why is everybody scared of me, Thor?"

Anthony Stark was certain he felt his heart break right then. Thor looked as though he was faring no better.

"Lo-,"

"Put me down," the toddler fumed, wriggling in his brother's arms. Thor easily could have held onto the trickster but he didn't feel the need to. "I want my mama, Thor. Where is mama?"

Tony's eyes snapped up to Thor's in slight panic and confusion. Frigga... their mother... wasn't she dead? She died when Thor and Loki were younger. He remembered the oldest Odinson telling him a few weeks ago.

"Loki, brother-,"

"I want mama!" the child screamed, searching the room frantically for the reassuring presence of his mother, the very woman who had protected him and adored him since she had first laid eyes on him, the woman who had never judged him or made him feel different or unworthy, the woman who kissed him and reassured him and protected him from the monsters. His mother. "Mama! Mama? Where are you?"

Thor looked too distraught to intervene, his eyes wide and unseeing as they seemed to gaze through his brother. Closing his eyes, Tony reached out and plucked the 'four-year-old' from the ground, trying his hardest to block the punches that Loki tried to land on him. The piercing screams rattled his ears.

"Calm down, Loki. Listen to me," he whispered, trapping the youngster's hands in his own and rocking him back and forth, gently encouraging the tiny head to rest on his shoulder. He barely blinked at the hot tears that fell down his back as the toddler wept into his shirt. "There you go, kid. Get it all out."

"Mama-,"

"I'm not your mama," Tony scoffed with no real malice. His heart ached for the man who had killed so many. No... this child had not killed anyone, not yet. "Just breathe kiddo."

Loki hiccuped and buried his face in Tony's neck, the soft breath making Tony smile softly. He remembered when Phil and Pepper's son was first born and Tony had tried his damned hardest not to steal the baby. He always had a soft spot for children, especially as nobody had ever stuck around long enough to let him have his own.

"Stark," Thor nodded, turning his face away from the endearing sight. His heart ached and his mind was frazzled from the events. "Thank you, friend."

"No problem, Point Break," Tony whispered, releasing Loki's limp arms and smiling as his small hands wound around his shirt. Thor recognized the Man of Iron's content and raised an eyebrow, amused. "What? He's kinda cute when he's not trying to murder people or throw me out of windows." Tony defended half-heartedly, his hand still rubbing gentle circles on the trickster's back.

"He likes you, Stark,"

"He thinks I'm Frigga,"

"That means he trusts you."

"That means I look like a proper lady."

Thor shook his head at his Shield friend, before gently prying Loki from his grip and taking him to his provided rooms. Stark would rather die than admit it, but he felt rather empty without the comforting weight of the trickster in his arms.