5. What If...

I want to keep falling asleep to your voice till the world stops existing.
I wish I could dissolve up out of my body and take a photo from above me lying here, arms outstretched and duvet covering most of me except few strands of hair peeking out because then you could see how tired I am, I am so tired.

David's POV

We entered her apartment.
"I hope your couch is comfy." I chuckled groggily.
"I can sleep on the couch if you wanna sleep on the bed." She offered.
"No I'll be fine." I declined, trying to rub the sleep out of my eyes.
She handed me a blanket and a pillow. 
"Thanks." I flashed a smile and messed up her hair.
She let out a light laugh.
I put the pillow on her soft couch and laid down. I draped the blanket over myself.
She laid down on her bed.
"Night Dylan." I spoke.
She didn't respond. I didn't think much of it. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. But all I could do was think about her, and all the things I wanted to say. She seems cold toward me. She brushes me off. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to her. She seems like she's much more than I know. I wanna say a billion things to her, and I have no idea why. I've never felt like this before. I wanted to ask her a billion things too. I scrunched my eyes closed tighter, as if it was a cure to my insomnia.
After failing to sleep for a couple minutes I just opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling.
I was so tired, but I couldn't sleep.
"You up?" I asked, half whispering.
"Yep." She said.
I sat up and looked at her.
"Can't sleep?" She asked
I avoided eye contact and nodded my head yes.
"I got something that'll help." She stated, standing up off of her bed.
She walked over to her dresser and opened the top drawer. She pulled out a bag of weed and a glass pipe for smoking out of.
"Nah, I-I'm not into that." I laughed a little.
"Oh come on, live a little." She insisted.
"What if you get sick?" I mentioned.
"What if I don't?" She retorted.
"What if-?" I repeated and she cut me off.
"Oh, I'll be fine. There's nothing to worry about." She said, packing the weed into the bowl.
She had a way of swaying me. I didn't want to say no to her. I just wanted her to be happy.
"Ugh, Fine. Just one bowl." I negotiated.
"Fine, just one." She agreed, and sat down on the couch next to me.
She pulled a lighter out of her pocket at lit the weed and took a hit off of the pipe. She inhaled and then exhaled slowly. She cleared her throat, but didn't cough. She handed me the pipe and lighter.
"Your turn." She smiled
I put the pipe to my mouth and lit the bowl. I took a slow drag and tried to inhale the best I could. I exhaled and coughed a few times. She laughed at me.
"Oh shut up, I don't smoke often." I laughed and coughed a couple more times.
"Neither do I, and I didn't cough." She chuckled.
We took a few more hits of the bowl back and fourth until it was gone. I coughed every single time and she couldn't stop laughing. I set the pipe and the lighter on the table.
"You're eyes are red as fuck." She said getting slightly closer to my face and looking into my eyes. I couldn't tell you how badly non-sober me wanted to kiss her.
"Yours are too." I chuckled a little.
"Shut up." She nudged me with her elbow.
I laughed
"Dylan you know what you remind me of?" I asked
"What?" She asked back
"I don't know, you're all the best parts about the rain. You know?"
She giggled
"Whatever you say." She smiled
I glanced down at her hands and again, noticed that they were damaged and bruised.
I furred my brows.
"You sure you still don't know what happened to your hands Dylan?" I asked as I felt the drugs kicking in a bit.
She paused for a minute, as if she was debating to tell me. She looked at the bruises on her hand.
"I don't... wanna talk about it." She said looking down at her hands.
I put my hand on her shoulder and she looked up at me.
"It's okay." I soothed.
I knew something was wrong. She means so much to me already and I'd hate to see her in pain.
She paused.
"You know that guy I told you about? The guy in Maine who said I was 'difficult to be with'?" She asked
"Yeah." I replied, recalling the conversation.
"Well..." she hesitated " H-he hit me... a lot. And one day, he hit me one too many times and I finally hit him back, like a lot. That's why my knuckles are bruised. And then I broke up with him and moved far, far away." She played with her hair and stared at the ground as she told me that story.
I was full of rage at a person I didn't even know. How could he hit her?
"I am so fucking sorry." I pulled her into a hug.
She didn't hug me back.
"That's why I don't do relationships. That's why I hate love." She explained
I stopped hugging her.
"That shit wasn't love. You never hit someone you love." I said, clenching my fists, trying to control my anger for a guy I've never even met.
"Well, I'm not letting myself get hurt again." She said
"I'd never hurt you." The words fell out of my mouth accidentally.
"What?" She said looking at me in confusion.
"I-I mean like, not in a weird way, like a friend way." I spat out.
"Oh. Good" She said
I rubbed my eyes and looked at the ceiling again. I could feel that I was high now.
She laid her head on my chest. I smiled a little.
I think like Dylan...just a little.
I thought
"You're not a bad guy David." She said, closing her eyes.
She made me smile.
I laid my arm on her. She was already half asleep. I wondered if she got chills when I touched her. She gives me goose bumps when she touches me. It was hard for me to fall in love with someone. And it hurt, seeing her hurt. I ran my fingers through her hair until I fell asleep.
_________________________________
A/N
Comment your opinion on my book. Leave a vote if you'd like. Happy holidays. I'll make sure to post tomorrow as a gift to you guys. It'll be a LONG chapter. Love you all byyeeee 👋🏼💗