Chapter Forty-One

Unedited

Ashley

The first thing Monday morning I was on the phone with my bank, trying to get ahold to my accountant. Apparently my accountant had gone on some spur of the moment vacation and I was left talking to 'William' who could even remember my last name from the moment I was transferred to him to fifteen seconds later when he asked for the last four digits of my social.

" Ashley," i finally said. " just call me Ashley." I was on edge. It was the combination of my mother being down my throat the previous day and then Leon being down my throat all night that was making me want to scream. In all fairness, Leon hadn't been down my throat. He'd been trying to be supportive, but to me it just sounded like he wanted me to kick my mother to the curb- which I couldn't do.

So in order to get away from him I escaped to my place of work the first chance I could in the morning- while Leon was taking Raegan to school. It was an hour later and he had stopped calling, probably figuring I needed time.

" okay, Ashley. Can i have the last four digits of you social security number?"

I sighed, grating my teeth, knowing full well that I had just given it to him, but trying to remain calm. I repeated the number, trying not to give away that I was irritated. It wasn't his fault my mother was down my throat, that Leon was getting on my nerves, and that my accountant had decided to go on vacation without a warning.

" okay," he clicked away on his keyboard and was quiet for a moment. " and are we looking at your business or personal account today?"

" personal."

" checking or savings?"

" checking."

More clicking. " There's a flag on your account that came up Saturday afternoon. Your account was put on hold and all transactions within the twenty four hours before the incident were refunded."

I rolled my eyes. " and nobody could call me and tell m?"

" well ma'am, the bank is closed on weekends."

I took another deep breath. " so can you tell me why the hell my account was flagged on Saturday? I haven't used my bank card the entire weekend. The only thing that i had coming out was a three thousand dollar transfer on Friday and maybe seven hundred dollars worth of bills. It's the same thing around this time every damn month."

" it looks like... your debit card was used Saturday afternoon at a gas station on fifth street."

" what kind of transaction? I'm telling you, I have my bank card and I haven't used it." I said, grabbed my purse from atop my desk and digging through it.

" somebody tried to withdraw two thousand dollars- which was declined because as of May of last year the banks maximum withdrawal amount is five hundred dollars in a single transaction. Immediately after that was declined, there was another attempt for one thousand dollars that was also declined, which effectively froze your account."

I continued to dig through my purse, checking my wallet first- where the card normally was- and when I couldn't find it, I flipped the entire purse, purposely spilling the contents onto a stack of papers. There wasn't much in my purse besides the wallet- lotion, perfume, and gum- but there was definitely no card.

For the life of me I couldn't think of who could have gotten their hands on it. It was in my purse Friday, that much I knew for sure because I'd bought dinner for my family- and afterward I distinctly remember putting my card back into my wallet and into my purse.

" I must've..." Stumped, I scrapped the previous contents of my purse back inside and dropped it angrily onto the floor. " i must've dropped it."

" it's more likely that it was stolen. Your pin was used to access the account. You know when you use an atm-"

" I know how to use a fucking atm, thanks." I snapped, regretfully. Literally the only person that knew my pin was Leon and I knew good and damned well that he hadn't stole my card and tried to withdraw two thousand dollars. Not only did it not make sense but again, it did not fucking make sense.

I went through the motions with William after that, canceling the old debit card and ordering a new one. He said that I would receive the card in the mail within two to three business days and would be able to set a new PIN number. Then he went on and on about keeping my pin a secret for the safety of my funds. I tuned that part out, and when he finished talking I let him know that I would be in to the bank within the next few hours  to withdraw three thousand dollars.

He agreed and we hung up.