Chapter 8: Diverge

Daniel's words plague his head. He wants to forget his offer but how could he if he surrounds himself with Daniel's presence? It's like David's asking for it. The other man is sending him over the edge; slowly pushing him to it, enticing him. Blinding him with his sweet smiles and affectionate touches. He displays them only when they're alone. David likes to think that Daniel's aware the group won't be so welcoming of them being hands on with each other.

Although the group has joked about it, it's a completely different thing from confirming their status to the public. Gwen even said so. He'd be out of his mind to fall for someone infected.

Toss me in the looney bin then, how about that? He thinks sarcastically. Even he'd admit his relationship with the man is unorthodox. Maybe that's what makes their affair so intoxicating.

The fact that it's unlawful and twisted makes the sin all the more sweeter. He's irresistible to the temptation. David believes he's finally discovered something within him that corrupts his character. Before the outbreak, he went about his life being the perfect, hard-working student. He's got himself a job and even that, he plows through with a smile. He greets his co-workers a good morning, insusceptible to their pessimism. He avoids all the bad things that could potentially ruin his career and his life. He was almost the perfect working individual.

Until now. His job's likely gone. Not of importance in their situation. He's learning to deal with new problems—life threatening problems. On top of that, he's romantically attached at the wrong time, with the wrong person. The flaw has come out to greet him. He wasn't so perfect after all. He's subjected to a desire so strange and new. It says something about David's love life as he hasn't been romantically attached since high school when he dated Bonquisha. Even then, it was more platonic than lustful.

Daniel was the epitome of lust.

David's learning to accept these new feelings for him. It's a flaw about himself he's willing to accept. At every stroke, at every touch, he feels himself caving in. The hint that something dark is hiding under the surface of their frequent physical contact both scares him and turns him on. Call him a masochist.

He gives him all the time in the world. A day or two pass by and he's grown fond of Daniel's company. When they share a moment communicating, David feels like he's unraveling more of Daniel. They weren't just communicating. They were feeling and brewing up the tension between them.

Of course, that doesn't mean the brunette ignores the camp altogether. He's closer with the kids, more open to Gwen, and helpful with their plans of making the camp a habitable place. The occasional problem does arise but he and Gwen take care of them.

Over the course of time, they trained the kids to defend for themselves. The camp came equipped with so many things—tools, medicine, even weapons—that David started to wonder what this place really was back when it was up and functioning. There were other illegal substances in plastic containers and jars he didn't dare touch. Didn't seem too family friendly, now that he thinks about it. Ultimately, camp has been improving and so is the group. The small wall the kids and Gwen built is in progress and Daniel's been proving himself useful whenever they exited the premises of their territory.

It started when the group emerged from camp to scope out the area beyond the forest. He had Daniel on a leash while the others stayed far back from him. The duo went ahead since they were the ones who explored most before they hid in the cave. Nothing but trees and more trees. There were clearings but they were most likely driveways that pointed to the camp. They encountered trouble one day with a pack of them—the infected. Gwen and the kids have strayed too far and Space Kid had been backed into a corner. Before David could raise his weapon, Daniel had stepped forward. Something about his presence made the infected back away as he retrieved the frightened boy. David stood still as his companion walked back with Space Kid unharmed. The poor boy looked ready to faint. Daniel led the group of them back to safety, eyeing down those who dared come closer, looking like Moses parting the red sea.