Chapter 1, Book 1: A Strange Beginning

Peter just woke up. His alarm was yelling at him to get up. 7:35, 10 minutes until school starts, and if he was tardy he would get detention. Every student who goes to Merston High fears detention. Peter rushed to get dressed. He ate his toast as he ran to school. 3...2...1. He sat down at his desk as the bell rang. A few classes later at 3:00, Dean McTaylor walked up to Peter and slammed him across the face. He felt himself falling as softly as a drop of rain on velvet. He heard the ocean's waves splashing against something. He opened his eyes to see the gray sky. As he sat up, he found himself on a old, rickety, wooden dock. He looked away from the ocean to see a giant building made of ice. TAP! "Huh?" TAP! TAP! "Hello?" He scanned the ice sculpture and found a hole in the ice a bit taller than him. He slowly got up and walked toward the hole, and BOOM! A girl in ragged clothes and a dirty face was holding a wooden spear up to him. Her clothes seemed to be cut and tattered, smudged with dirt and ash. Her brown hair was blowing in the wind. Her expression was stern as she looked him up and down. "Wait! I'm not here to hurt you!" Peter said trying to get the girl to calm down and lower the spear. She scanned him one more time, lowered the spear, and asked, "What are you doing here?" "I don't know I just...appeared here," he said. It was true, one second he was an average teen, being bullied in a school parking lot, and the next he was somewhere he didn't know about. The girl hesitated and then lead him inside. What he saw was truly bizarre.