Your Office is Under a Volcano?

Kenna shifted in her seat, as another applicant left to be interviewed. It seemed she was the last; the bottom of the barrel.

Kenna tried not to worry. But after watching so many accomplished people, with better qualifications go before her, it was hard not to.

Kenna looked out the waiting room window.

It isn't everyday you leave the middle of Nowhere, Georgia, or get to see a volcano this close. Or interview with one of the greats. You are going to go in there, be confident, and if it doesn't work out, no big deal.

"Kenna James?"

"Yes ma'am?" Kenna turned from the picturesque window, toward the stern looking woman from reception. Kenna clutched her portfolio as she walked closer.

"My name is Ms. Nesoi. Follow me please. Mr. Henry Mason will see you now."

"Is the volcano always so active?" Kenna asked.

"Some days it's more active than others. You could say it has moods. Come, Mr. Mason does not appreciate tardiness." Ms. Nesoi walked over to a door off to the side, and scanned her badge.

Once unlocked, Kenna followed the quick paced woman through many corridors. At a fork in the corridors, Ms. Nesoi stopped.

"Before we go any further, there is one last security measure we must preform. If you would, please sign this non-disclosure agreement and then place your hand on the scanner. If you do not agree with the terms or the scanner discovers a problem in your records, you will take the corridor on the right and it will lead you back out to your vehicle. If the scan comes back clean, we will continue on through the left corridor." Ms. Nesoi held out an elegant pin, that seemed to shimmer, and a clipboard with thick parchment on it.

Huh? This seems excessive. Maybe Mr. Mason is one of those eccentric artists?

Kenna took the clipboard, and glanced at the strange formal paper. She didn't understand all the confusing terms, but she didn't want to miss this opportunity. As Kenna took the pen and signed her name, what felt like static electricity ran through her body.

Kenna shook her head, whisps of blonde hair escaped her once neat bun. Kenna placed her hand on the scanner Ms. Nesoi held out. Another slight shock went up her arm.

"Ow, dang it!...What was that?" Kenna rubbed her hand, as she watched Ms. Nesoi read the scanner.

"Nothing to worry about. It is quite normal reaction I assure you that..." Ms. Nesoi's eyes widened for a moment before they looked over at Kenna. "Ms. James, you appear to have everything in order. Shall we continue?"

Kenna nodded and followed Ms. Nesoi down the left corridor, til they reached a dim stairwell. As they began their decent, the temperature increased.

At the base of the stairs, Ms. Nesoi scanned her badge at another door. She ushered Kenna forward, then closed the door behind Kenna.

A blast of heat hit Kenna in the face, as she leaned against the closed door, eyes squeezed shut from the heat.

Kenna shaded her face, as she opened one eye then the other. Before her was some type of cavernous place. The room looked as though the walls had been chipped away at and polished smooth. Shimmers of color reflected along the dark walls, cast there by an enormous flaming forge along the far wall.

A giant of a man stood at the fire, with his back toward Kenna. With tools in his large hands, Kenna watched as the man hammered and molded, hot embers flying.

Kenna watched in awe. The way the dark haired man formed and shaped the metal in his grip, showed a level of mastery she had never seen before.

All too soon, the man set aside his work and turned toward Kenna, a slight limp in his gait. Kenna straightened from her position against the door, as sharp grey eyes looked over.