Chapter 39

The next morning, I woke up and got dressed for school. I decided to wear a bright red sweat shirt and some loose jeans. Today would be the first time I had worn jeans to school, except for that one day in music, since around when Ash died.

When I went downstairs, Will and Zoey were in the kitchen. I was confused on why Will was here.

Then I remembered he was nervous about my father coming, he probably slept in his room.

I persuaded Dani to eat lunch with me in the cafeteria. I told her about Will finding out about the cuts and she was pissed at him. She said he shouldn’t have let me leave. I tried to explain that it was my fault for not telling him.

When I walked into music, I went to sit with Michelle.

“Hey.” I greeted her.

“Hey.” She grinned  at me. “Excited for more dancing with our hot teacher?”

I laughed. “Sure.”

The bell rung and Will came out of his office.

“So this is our last week of dance for awhile and it will be pretty relaxed because I’m working on the talent show. Today, you can do whatever partner dance you want but you have to dance.”

He started the music and everyone got up with their partners. I got up and slowly went to him. I was honestly expecting him to say he wouldn’t dance with me.

He did dance with me but it felt incredibly tense and a bit forced. I hated it. It was my own fault. Even if he did forgive me, things would probably never be as easy as they used to be.

I bit my lip and refused to look him in the eye. I had ruined us. I felt like I was going to cry but I wouldn’t, not here, in front of him.

We were silent, a few times he would correct other peoples technique but that was it.

When the bell finally rung, he stepped away from me. People rushed out of the room. I felt like I was going to explode from holding back tears.

I grabbed my bag and started to leave when his voice stopped me.

“Where are you going?” he asked quietly. I stopped but I didn’t turn around.

“To study.” I replied lamely and walked out.

I went into the bathroom and locked myself in a stall. I leaned heavily against the wall and let myself cry.

Would things be okay with us? They’ll never be the same but I can’t handle the tension between us right now.

I was scared I had lost him.

This hurt more then a razor ever could and I didn’t like it.

I stayed in the bathroom until the bell rung for my next class. Before I left, I splashed my face with cold water to try to get rid of my red eyes.

Dani either didn’t notice or chose not to say anything about it when I meet her in the locker room.

We played volleyball today which I wasn’t horrible at. Will caught my eyes once and he looked worried, it confused me.

While I was looking at him, I had lost focus. Someone on the other team had spiked the ball right at me. A guy on my left dove towards me, trying to save it. He missed and we both crashed to the ground.

He was on top of me, crushing me. I couldn’t breath. I was trapped. Flashes of my father popped into mind.

“No!” I exclaimed, shoving him off of me. I hastily stood up, backing away from him.