September 5, 2014 Vive le Theatre Kids

Good morning Nerdfighters, it's Friday. I'm sorry I missed two weeks of uploads, the start of school kinda threw me through a loop. My classes are all much harder and more demanding this year so....there's that. Anyway, I'm here now and a lot is going on! A couple orders of boring/exciting business befire we get into the meat of this post.

1. John Green's birthday has passed....HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Nerdfighteria got him llama's. :)

2. Hank Green did the ALS Ice Bucket challenge and you should too. I was nominated by Hora Mendelschtapp so I was forced to do it but I did it in honor of my grandfather who died of ALS before I was ever born and so I never got to meet him. Please support this cause, it's a very good one. BUT: don't forget to donate, this is not just about pouring freezing water all over yourself.

3. I want to have a question Friday post soon SO if you could come up with as many questions as possible and post them in comments that would be mighty helpful. I'll also make a club thread to gather questions but I need MANY. Thanks in advance!

Okay, so, let's talk about support. Last week I spent upwards of about five hours stuck in a very scary process called auditions. I am a Theatre Kid so I had a blast but it was terrifying. Oh, if you're wondering, it was upwards of five hours because that includes callbacks the day after initial auditions.

I've only gotten a community theatre callback once before and it was for a production of A Christmas Carol. This? This was for CATS. I know many of you might not be familiar with CATS (it is literally about cats, none of the characters are anything but a cat) but it's an intense dancing show. Me? I. Don't. Dance. I mean, I'll get better because of this show. WE HAVE DANCE BOOT CAMPS THREE TIMES A WEEK. That's a lot of work. But that is not in fact my point.

Nerdfighters, callbacks are probably more terrifying than initial auditions. They sure are for me. See,  with an initial audition you're doing these things in camparison to everyone else that auditions that particular day and, sometimes, that makes you look VERY good.

Naum and I were talking at lunch the other day about the dance audition and how we had some really horrible dancers in our group so we looked like we knew what was going on. The bad dancers can also mess you up though, and we both agreed that they did.

However, at callbacks you're next to the people the director wanted to see again beside you because they might be better. Way better. That's really really really really scary.

But, here's the thing. The group that was at callbacks last week? We didn't treat each other like competition. We treated each other like a family. We supported each other (finally the word I mentioned this post was about, right?).

When someone felt uncomfortable doing something we would cheer them on louder. They messed up? Cheer them on. I felt safe in a place I normally wouldn't because I've never been to a legit really intense callback.

I was really nervous at one point, a lady helped me practice. I was just up there to give some thing I really couldm't do a try, the choreographer tried to teach me (those were the tap dancing steps). I volunteered for something, my fellow call back people hooted and hollered. We gave high-fives, hugs, comments, reassurances. Nobody bonds faster than a group of social people when they're nervous. Like, honest to goodness.

Extracurricular activities are the best places to make friends and feel loved but Theatre is one of those things where you get a new cast family every show. Some of them suck. I was in a cast where someone new made me cry almost everyday. I was miserable. But I've also been in casts where we stick with each other because like half of the cast gets off stage when their character exits and, because they have some virus, they throw up. That same cast where a member just couldn't one day and we needed a last minute replacement. The best options then needed help with a quick change so we all helped.

Find a group that you love to be a part of, nerdfighters, they'll never leave you. Remember. Ice Bucket Challenge and question Friday.

DFTBA! Nerdfighters, I'll see you on Friday.