The Avengers

It had been a few months since Steve had gotten out of the ice. He was still getting used to the modern world. He learned that Howard died in a car crash on the way to the airport, orphaning his 17-year-old son. Now Tony Stark was 38 and in charge of Stark Industries and very rich and famous.

What Steve still could not believe was that, only three years after he went into the ice that they had won the war. That the rest of the Howling Commandos had lived to see the end of the war.

Peggy was also alive, that was the only reason that Steve really ever left S.H.E.I.L.D headquarters. Also to take a morning jog.

Really all Steve had been doing since he got out of the ice had been training, harder, faster, stronger and smarter. The thing was when in the past Steve had been considered one of the smartest person ever. Now he could barely keep up with all the technology. 

Now, Fury, had him taking special classes to learn about everything that he had missed. He had caught up with all the history already and had almost figured out the to use a phone without fault. Also, he had been spending his night watching movies and videos, looking up things to understand modern culture.

Fury kept on pressing for him to get his own place to stay, to get a new life. For Steve, it still felt too early. It seemed only a few months ago Peggy had asked Steve out on a date, that Bucky had died since he had killed the Red Skull since the plane had landed in the water, since he was drowning.

Steve had not slept in a very long time, he had taken a few power naps here and there, but not sleeping a full night. He just could not. Every time he closed his eyes his last conversation with Peggy played over and over again in his ears.

When he had first saw her laying in that hospital bed, old and wrinkled he almost did not recognize her. But then he looked into her eyes and saw her fiery spirit was still there, They had long conversations, about what happened after the plane went down. Her children, her husband. She told Steve that she would have liked to have married him, but was unable to, so went with the next best option. He chuckled every time she said that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve was pulling another all-nighter. He was punching the bag as hard and fast as he could. He had a lot on his mind at the moment, about what happened earlier that day. He went to visit Peggy, and she did not recognize him at first. He had to explain who he was before she would talk to him. She almost called security.

He was so caught up in what he was doing he never heard the door open. He jumped when he heard someone clear there throat. He turned to see Fury standing behind him with a raised eyebrow.

"Pulling another all-nighter again Cap?" asked Fury.

"Can't sleep. I slept for almost 70 years, I don't need to miss more. Also, I am always on call, so I need to be ready for action." Steve did not look up to meet his eyes.

"You know you can't do everything, right? You need help. Everyone here is willing to give it to you. Just ask and you can have it."

"Can you put my life back together again?"

Fury did not respond for a long time. When he did he asked something that Steve did not expect.

"How old are you Cap?" Steve looked at him confused.

"Don't play innocent, I know you aren't as old you act to be. Also, I checked your file, it does not have your birthdate, but the farthest back you can be traced was 1928. You are definitely not even in your late 20's yet. Just how old are you?"

Steve swallowed nervously and contemplated what to say next.

"You are right about me not being in my late 20's yet. Laws were different when I was growing up, as you know. You also know I bent many laws on the way to get to where I am now."

He hoped that Fury would not press anymore.

"That does not answer my question, Steve." He deflated.

"Just don't react without hearing me out first okay." Fury nodded in agreement.

"I was born in 1926, okay. I joined the army at 14. Now I know that you are thinking that I was not cared for as a child. The thing was my mom and dad died when I was 13 and I needed to do something with my life and look at me now. I became Captain America at age 16 and for a year everything was great. Then Bucky died, so I went after the Red Skull myself. I had just turned 17 that week. No one knew my age, besides Bucky and he said that he would keep it a secret. I am only 17 and 3 1/2 months. Please don't be mad."

Fury looked at Steve with wonder in his eyes. In front of him was a man, if he could even call him that. A person who had through so much in their short life, and still get up every morning and face the day. All he could do is walk over to where the teen was sitting and put his hand on his shoulder and squeeze it. 

Steve looks up at Fury and was confused to see the expression of sadness that met him. Seeing Steve confusion Fury stepped away. and cleared his throat.

"Anyway, on a different note, Cap I have a plan and I need you to help me with it. You are the only man I think who will be able to pull it off. "

"You really going to let me stay?" Steve looked very happy about that.

"Well, you are going to need a guardian for the last few months, to try to make this situation more legal like. Also, I would like it if you kept this secret between the 2 of us, okay. The last thing we need is for the press to, first of all, figure out that you are back from the dead. Then to figure out that you can't even drink beer or can travel between countries. I think it would be for the best if I became your guardian for the time being, is that okay with you?"

Steve nodded in response, Fury let out a sigh of relief that they had at least come to an agreement about what to do with this surprising situation that was just thrown onto him.   

"As you were saying before, what is this job that only I could do?"

"There is an idea, its called the Avenger Initiative. The idea is to bring together a group of remarkable people. To see if they can become something more. To see if they could work together when we need them to. So they can fight the battles we need them to. I want you to lead this team of special people. You seem like the only one who would be able to keep them together. They have all heard about you, the will respect you. This also will be the perfect moment to be introduced into society." 

"You really think I would be the best for this job. The Howling Commandos were from the army and trained soldiers, who knew how to take orders."

"But they were also the rejects about to be thrown out of the army because they could not follow orders. Also, you gained the trust and respect of those people over time and they followed you without question. They already know what you and what you have done. Most of them have already had some sort of military experience so I think you will be okay. Just don't tell them about your age and I think you will be okay." 

"But don't you think a little betrayed about not being told before that I am back?"

"Who cares. The rest of them don't care anyway. I already have them being recruited at this very moment. They are all in, all they need is a leader. Do you think you are up to the job."

Steve looks a Fury in the eye.

"I think I am."