TW3P Part 4

-Le glorious time skip-

Geno leaned against a soft stone, napping for the most part, but occasionally opening his eyes lazily to watch Reaper and Death (calling him Papyrus stirred too many memories) being good gods of death. There really were a lot of souls down here and they all seemed to require attention. Every now and then, a soul would wander or be carried across the river and it would never be seen again. 

Geno couldn't hear what the souls were saying like Reaper and Death could, so for him this was a very boring and quiet place. Of course, it was nowhere near as boring or downright unpleasant as the last place he'd been. 

The other day, he'd asked Death if they couldn't invite some of the other gods down here so it wouldn't be so quiet. The embodiment of painless death had flinched and shyly explained that the other gods were all very busy and didn't have the time to be slacking off in the underworld with them. So, of course, when Death wasn't watching, Geno asked Reaper for the real reason.

"It's because the other gods were born from stars and we were born from darkness. They know we're important, but most of them find us unpleasant." He had given the glittering ceiling a forlorn look and murmured, "They think they're above us. That's why they do all their work from on top of a cloud and my brother and I live down here surrounded by death and quiet."

And for some reason, Geno started to hate the other gods. He'd never met them, and he didn't think of himself as being particularly close with the two gods of death, but he hated the other gods all the same.

***

Geno's sense of time wasn't very good after having lived countless resets in the save screen. He quickly lost track of how many days had gone by and didn't particularly feel a need to stop napping all day and beg for death.

That might have been a mistake because he was starting to get... attached. 

Reaper and Death were constantly leaving the underworld and coming back with new souls. They were ceaselessly appeasing the souls that were already there. Every time a soul made its peace, they took time out of their lives to help it cross the river. Reaper had made it clear that he hated his job, and even Death seemed sad now and then. All of these souls were taking advantage of their kindness to benefit themselves; none of them ever did anything for the gods that were caring for them with all of their souls. 

Geno started napping less. He started chatting more with Reaper and Death to help them pass the time and relax. He got them to play games together when there was a lull in the work they had to do. He refused to leave them alone long enough for that sad look to show up on their faces. They deserved better.

"Oh! Oh! Uno!" Death held up his one playing card and cheered. 

"Are you seriously going to win again, Papyrus?" Reaper complained playfully.

"I can't help it, brother; I had a good hand," the tallest skeleton grinned.

Death won as soon as it came back to his turn, then he stood up and stretched his spine. "Well, I think I hear some dying souls calling. I'm going to head out for a while."

"Alright. See you in a bit, Papyrus."

"Later, Death."

Reaper glanced down at his cards and grinned. "Wanna play for second place, Geno?"

"Sure, I'm game."

They went around the turn order again and Reaper ended up drawing six more cards before he got one he could use, putting Geno in the lead.

"So," the death god muttered casually, "you seem like you've gotten used to living here. You've cheered up a lot since I brought you here."

"Yeah. You and Death have cheered up a lot since you brought me here too," Geno replied coyly.

Reaper rubbed the back of his skull and chuckled. "You're right. It's nice hearing Papyrus get so excited about something simple like a card game. I'm really glad I brought you here." There was a stretch of silence and, almost nervously, Reaper asked, "Are you... maybe planning on staying for a while?"

Geno looked at Reaper and then back down at his cards, keeping a poker face. "Honestly, I don't know how I've stayed here this long. I thought I would die as soon as I left the save screen."

"Oh, that? This universe doesn't have the concept of HP yours did. In this world, people die when my brother and I say so. So, your zero HP and broken body and soul don't matter here. At least, they don't matter compared to your determination to live."

"Is that how it's is?" Geno gave a soft smile. "Well then, I won't leave you and your brother all alone anytime soon."

Reaper smiled a cautious and hopeful smile. "Okay."