Prologue

The sun was out and there was barely a cloud in sight. The sounds of the neighborhood children playing and whining filled the area, and caused an overwhelming sense of age with the Shi siblings, Shi Miao and Shi Fen, who were now preparing for college. They had been working hard on getting scholarships in their respective roles, and had been saving up money in their own way.

Shi Fen had been gaining money from the publicity of his best friend, Kai Xin's basketball fame. He had also been taking on several part-time jobs.

Shi Miao had gotten a job at a local noodle shop, as a waiter, of course—she would still need the proper training to learn how to cook well.

On this lovely day these two were sitting on the couch, with bowls of some cabbage and carrot broth that Shi Fen had prepared. The couch had upgraded to have more comfier cushions—a purchase the siblings didn't mind at all.

Their father had gained an extreme bonus for his excellent driving skills at work. This had led to the living status to improve, and allowed Mr.Shi to pay off the bills, and debt.

As the two ate, they hear a knock on their door. Shi Fen ignored it, focused on the food in front of him and the game playing on the television a bit further. Shi Miao placed her bowl on the coffee table and walked up to the door.

"Who is it?" She yelled.

"Kai Xin!" His voice sounded happier than usual. Miao opened the door with great excitement, "Ah. Kai Xin, what brings you here?" She said, glancing about, a familiar awkwardness to her action. "Hi Shi Miao. Here to see Shi Fe—ah there he is!" He stands outside, almost jumping with energy at the sight of his friend. "Please! Please come in." Shi Miao says, and Kai Xin does.

"Shi Fen you won't believe the news I am about to tell you."

Fen slurps the rest of the broth up and places it on the table. "My dear friend. Tell me!" He said.

"I just got a letter from the college of my first choice!" Kai Xin says, almost bursting with excitement. Shi Fen looks surprised, "Oh? You got accepted?" Kai Xin thinks, "I have to open the letter!" Fen nods as Kai Xin pulls out the letter from his sweater pocket. "I wanted to share this moment with you." Fen nods, "I'm honored."

As he opens the letter, everyone anticipates the result.

And....

"I got..." his face grows neutral. A silent wind flows through the room. Shi Miao walks over to the couch where both of the two were now sitting, and takes a seat next to Kai Xin. "What does it say?"

"I got waitlisted..." His voice grow sad and his face drops. Shi Miao and Shi Fen pat Kai Xin on the back in an attempt to comfort the boy. "Ah. That's good then! Isn't it?" Fen laughs, trying to make light of the situation. Kai Xin gives him a half smile, and nods, "Yeah."

Suddenly there's a knock on the door and a man yelling, "Delivery!" Shi Miao gets up once again and opens the door to find a man with two letters in his hand. "Ah Shi Miao, this is for you and your brother." Says the delivery man. Shi Miao takes the letters and thanks the man and walks over to the now solemn table.

"What timing. I think these are our letters." Shi Miao says, while having a sudden anxious wave go over her. Shi Fen gets up and snatches the letter from Shi Miao. Her face drops in annoyance and she goes to sit back down. "Shi Fen let's open them together—." As she was saying that, Shi Fen had already begun reading the letter. "I got accepted to Normal University!" He woo's and he hoo's for a bit, a bit insensitive to his friend that sat next to him. "I'm happy for you Shi Fen! You worked hard!"

The two then looked at Shi Miao who's anxiety was about to implode. "Oh!" She nervously chuckles, "I guess it's my turn." She opens the letter slowly and reads what's inside. "Dear Shi Miao. We are excited to welcome you into the University of the Arts!" Shi Miao jumps out of her seat. "Full scholarship. I have a full scholarship!" Her excitement spread towards the other two, them also jumping out of their seats and hugging each other.

As the excitement dialed down, Shi Miao realizes something and her face drops.

"What's wrong now?" Shi Fen says.

"This school is so far away. I'd be really far from you guys..." Shi Fen scoffs, "I'd finally have my own room." Shi Miao reaches over Kai Xin to hit Shi Fen on the arm, "What the hell?! Your dear sister might leave and you just brush it off like its nothing?!" Shi Fen stands up, his eyes widen, "And so what?! It's about time!" His hands wave around in annoyance, but this opens the chance for Shi Miao. She grabs ahold of Shi Fen's arm and twists it, Shi Fen lets out a scream, and Kai Xin who was behind them grabs a hold of the two gently in an attempt to calm them down. "Guys come on!" He says pushing them gently away from each other. The two pout, crossed arms.

Shi Miao sits down and slurps up the rest of her soup. She slams the bowl onto the table, hard enough to make a loud noise but not hard enough to break the bowl. "I guess I'm moving out." Shi Fen nods, "Guess so." He salutes Shi Miao, "Good luck with everything. You'll need it." Shi Miao grabs the two bowls, "I'm not moving yet." She goes into the kitchen and washes up, returning the household back into a state of silence.