Chapter 1: Mixer

The Shi Siblings house felt empty. Their father was not home, and neither was Shi Miao. There's only Shi Fen, who was sitting alone at his desk, basking in the afternoon sunlight that was seeping through the window curtains, and a phone in his hand. He was playing League, a habit that he still hasn't grown out of. He twists his arm, a tactic that he deemed necessary for a successful run. He groans-- he had been playing for a while now. His legs were falling asleep, and his stomach was growling louder than usual.

But it's not as if he could stop now. He was close to reaching the enemy base. A few more taps away and then--before he could win the battle the doorbell rings. He stays sitting, ignoring the sudden disturbance. "Coming!" He says, definitely not in the position of standing up and getting the door. The doorbell rings once more. This time Shi Fen ignores it, focused solely on his device.

"SHI FEN!" A loud voice rings across the neighborhood. The noise was so loud that it brought Shi Fen to the floor of the empty bedroom. He drops his phone. In an instant afterward, he rummages the floor for the phone and quickly checks his status. He curses under his breath. He gets up abruptly and stomps toward the front door. "What the hell!" He says as he sees Shi Miao walking past him and towards the empty room. Shi Fen turns around, shows Shi Miao his phone, and frowns at the sight of the big bright red LOSER on the screen. "Look what you did!" He shoves his phone into his pockets.

"Well, my bad!" Shi Miao says as she rummages through some boxes in their room. " You're supposed to be away already!" Shi Fen complains as Shi Miao ignores him. "Where is it..."

"Ah!" she exclaims as she pulls out what seems to be this roll of ribbon. Shi Fen grimaces. "So you're telling me, that you came all the way here to get a piece of ribbon?" He scoffs and plops down onto the nearest chair. "It's going to be special."

"What's so special about a piece of red ribbon?"

"It's for hair."

"Hair?" Shi Fen groans, "What exactly are you going to do to your hair with that?"

"Tie it up. Make it nice. I'm going places tonight."

"Places?"

"A mixer. Some upperclassmen invited me and some other freshman to a single's mixer."

Shi Fen's eyes widen. "Are you serious?"

Shi Miao nods, making her way towards the doorway. Shi Fen follows her and stops her before she makes it out. "You're supposed to be studying! What're you doing going to mixers! All you'll find there are drunk guys and girls trying to find someone to make them happy for a little while and then break it off the next week or two later. You're fresh out of high school Shi Miao, you're not going to a mixer to find love. You're going to waste time."

Shi Miao stares at Shi Fen and groans. "SHUT UP! I'm just going for fun! Plus, the people my group is meeting don't go to the same University. Everything stays there."

Shi Miao, pushes Shi Fen out the way, "BYE!"