Chapter 1 - Miss Popular

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Huh? Why would someone call me so early on a Saturday morning? My friends know that I'm not a morning person. I reach out for my phone which was lying on my bedside cabinet and I see that my best friend, Lily, is calling me.

"Morning..." I yawn out, trying to disguise my anger at being woken up so early.

"Where are you?! We've been waiting by the car park for 20 minutes. If we wait any longer, we'll be late!" shouted Lily.

"What? I'm in bed. Where are you" I asked.

"Where do you think, dummy?! School," she muttered back.

I look at the date on my phone and gasp once the realisation has hit me. It's not Saturday! My phone says that it's 8:34am, which means that I have only twenty-six minutes to get to school!

"Hello? Hey Natalie?"

"Oh god I overslept! Cover for me," I say and with that, I cut the call and hurry out of bed.

Quickly, I reach for a new pair of contact lenses and rush to the bathroom. I didn't have time to have a shower, so after brushing my teeth as quickly as I could, I chose my favourite red top and paired it with a black skirt and my leather jacket.

Then I rushed out of the house with my school bag and my car keys, hurriedly saying goodbye to my mum who passed me a piece of toast before I ran out of the door.

I hopped into my car and drove as calmly as possible to school, as I didn't want anyone to think that I, Natalie Johnson, Queen Bee of Greenwood Academy, could lose her calm. Truth is, I am used to getting perfect attendance and straight A's. Those are some of the reasons why I am popular. All the teachers adore me and the whole school thinks that I am perfect. It's nice to be looked up to. Sadly, I am now going to ruin my perfect attendance since I am late.

Very very late.

Finally, I arrive at school and after parking my car, I run to my locker where I get my books for my first few periods and walked to my first lesson, because I didn't want to get caught running in the corridors aswell as being late. I politely knocked on the door, acting incredibly calm even though I didn't feel that way on the inside and opened the door. Miss Brown, my English teacher was frowning at me and I instantly ducked my head, putting on a mask of guilt.

"I am so sorry that I am late, Miss Brown," I quietly said as I awkwardly stood by the door.

"Go to your seat, Miss Johnson and try not to be late again," she said.

I did as I was told and sat down in my seat at the back of the classroom between my boyfriend, Chad and Lily.

"Babe, why were you late? You're never late. I had to do the pop quiz without your help and I know that I flunked it," whispered Chad, anger evident in his tone.

"I'm so sorry. I overslept," I shrugged.

Chad Kingsley is the best-looking guy in Greenwood Academy and is the captain of the football team. He isn't the smartest guy in school, but I don't mind, because he's nice enough. Maybe we don't have sparks, but we still like eachother.

After the lesson ended, I walked to my next lesson with Lily, since Chad had to go to another lesson and I wasn't shocked to see most of the school looking at me.

"You look great today, Nat."

"OMG! Where'd you get those shoes, Natalie?"

"I didn't see you this morning. Are you okay?"

I'm used to this though and I kindly smile at everyone who talks to me and with a swish of my hair, I enter my maths class (my favourite lesson). I know. Most popular girls don't like maths, but I can't help it. Something about calculating equations and solving formulae gets me so pumped. I don't tell any of my friends this though, as I know that they will mock me. After 50 minutes of maths, I finally stop worrying about being late today and ruining my perfect attendance record.

After two more lessons, it's finally lunchtime, my favourite part of the school day. I buy my lunch (a salmon and avocado salad yum!) and sit at my table, closely followed by Lily, Chad and my other best friends: Sammy who is a ginger and has grey eyes, Amanda, who is a curly brunette with brown eyes and Nicole, who has the most lovely black hair with blue eyes. All of my friends are incredibly pretty, especially Lily with her wavy blonde hair and bright green eyes that compliment ber skin tone perfectly. Even though my friends are beautiful, the school seems to always vote me as the prettiest girl in school. I am a typical pretty girl with my straight, blonde hair and my big blue eyes. I am naturally pale and I always try my best to keep my body as healthy as possible, which leads to me being very skinny, but with enough curves to make me look "stunning" as some people say. Everyone thinks I'm perfect but none of my friends know that I have REALLY bad eyesight which led to me getting glasses at the age of 11. Thankfully, my dad was able to convince the opticians to let me wear contact lenses since I always seemed to care what people thought about me.

I realised that I hadn't been listening to anything that my friends were talking about and this put me in a very tight spot when Amanda asked me what I thought about whatever she was talking about. I didn't want to say that I hadn't bern paying attention, so I said the easiest thing possible, "That's a great idea!"

Amanda smiled brightly at me and said, "I knew you would agree with me that we should go to the principal about getting rid of the chess club, since we all know that it is a pointless cause and only geeks go to it. We are actually helping them, since most of those geeks have no friends, so they need to socialise!"

What? I love chess and I really don't think we should get rid of the club. However, I didn't want to say this, because it was basically social suicide, so I just went along with it. I don't think that they will actually do it, because Amanda's "bright ideas" are always forgotten in a day or so.

After that very stressful day, I found it very relaxing when I was able to go home and have a quick dip in our pool. Did I mention that my parents are filthy rich, since my dad is the CEO of a very important company? This means that I live in a mansion. Sadly, my peace was rudely interrupted when my mum came in and told me to go to the shops to buy some milk. We have servants to do that, but my mum is always trying to get me to be very down to earth so I agree after a long sigh. I get back in my car and start driving, my thoughts wondering to Chad, whom I knew would be mad at me for not calling after school. This meant that I wasn't concentrating on the road and soon there was a loud thud as my car smacked into something or someone. My last thoughts were OMG!