Cocoa and Rum

It was dark and cold, shiro had no idea where he was but he knew he to get out. He had been running for... He didn't know how long he'd been running, he didn't know why he was running either but, what he did know was if he stopped he was going to die. The darkness somehow seemed to get darker, colder it was going to consume him.

"No," The young Admiral screamed into the obscurity,"No," could anyone hear him, and if they could, could anyone same him from the dark?

"No!" he screamed for a last time as he shot up from his bed covered in a cold sweat, fanatically look around his room, taking in his surroundings. When he finally got all his thoughts into one place he decided that now would be the perfect time to start his rounds. What time is it anyways? he thought to himself, he looked at his clock that was placed on his bed side table. 2:06AM it read, damn it, okay maybe it wasn't the perfect time to start his rounds, Maybe it wasn't even close to the perfect time, maybe it was three hours too early to be the perfect time to start his rounds.

Whatever, he was starting them anyways. Four hours of sleep followed by three hours overtime was still better then what might be awaiting him if he tried to go back to sleep.

He slowly got out of his bed, still shaking from that god awful dream. He hated see him self like this. He's the Captain of  IGF-Atles, he was supposed to be epiphany of strength and authority, but there he was, cowering like a child. He looked at himself in the mirror with a familiar feeling of disgust he usually felt in these situations.

He slip in to his uniform before going out of his room and back into the dark. The hallways were dimly lit by lights along the bottom and top of the walls that radiated a pretty cyan color. The lights were an add on he had requested when the Atles was being prepared for the mission. It gave Shiro a since of peace as it reminded him of his days in The Castle of Lion.

Shiro felt his steps become lighter as the feeling of fear he had rippling in his gut seemed to just fade away.

That was until he heared a crash coming from the kitchen. It was a small crash, not loud enough to wake anyone up, but just enough to make the fear come back with full force.

It's just the kitchen, he tried to assure himself, it's probably just hunk.

Dispite his attempt to calm himself he still keep a ready hand near his weapon as he made his way to the kitchen.

It took a tick for Shiro's eyes to adjust to the new light. He relaxed his hand as he realised it was just someone at the stove humming a quiet tune as he was making somthing.

"C-Captain," the man at the stove stuttered when he realise he wasn't alone, "What are you doing up at this hour"

"I could ask you the something, Lieutenant Williams.”

"couldn't sleep," the lieutenant explained to his commanding officer, "I thought some cocoa might do some good"

"Oh,"

"And you?" Williams ask.

"What?" Shiro said sounding a bit startled.

"Why are you up? If you don't mind me asking."

Shiro did mind, he shouldn't have, but he did. What was he suppose to say oh I just woke up crying, scared out of my mind. You know the usual.

"Captain," the lieutenant voice was soft and comforting "Captain you're shaking."

Damn it Takashi, keep it together. Damn i-

The lieutenant's hand was warm against Shiro's shoulder. Shiro had to look up to make I contact with him since Lieutenant Williams was one of the few crew members that was taller though it was only by an inch or two. Williams eyes were blue a nice contrast to his overall monochromatic appearance with his dark hair and dark skin. It took some strength not stare. he was the definition of tall dark and handsome.

The lieutenant's voice grew softer, "I think some cocoa might do some well too."

Shiro  gave a passive nod as they head back to the stove

"I hope you like it it's a secret family recipe."

"What's in it?" shiro asked the lieutenant.

Williams chuckled, "Well if I told you that it wouldn't be a secret, wouldn't it?" he lifted up his shirt revealing holster with a flask in it.

"Rum" Williams chuckled again, "the secret's rum"

He put a shot in each glass of Cocoa and handed one to his commanding officer. Shiro cautiously took a sip and smiled.

"This is delicious!" he said taking another sip, "who taught you put rum in Cocoa?"

"My mother," the lieutenant smiled, "she put rum everything, cocoa, tea ,cake I'm surprised she didn't put it in my bottles."

The rooms with lighting up with with the small talk as they got closer to the bottom of their mugs. Shiro now completely relaxed took in a deep breath letting all the fear he had earlier out.

"Thank you Curtis," Shiro smiled smiled as he turned to look at man "I really needed this."

The Lieutenant's eyes widened, "you know my name?"

"Of course I do, we work together, I see you everyday."

"Oh, I suppose you're right," Curtis replied a little flustered.

Shiro gave a light smile, "again, thank you Curtis."

"Of course Captain" Curtis said before sipping down the last of his drink.

"Please, call me Takashi."

Curtis nearly choked on his drink. he look at his commanding officer, "no I could never,"

"Please, I insist." Shiro ask again.

"I respect you far too much" Curtis insisted.

"Just in private settings, like this one"

Curtis thought it over. "Well, I guess there's no harm in calling you by your name. In a non professional setting."

"Perfect" Shiro said putting his mug in the sink.

"Goodnight, Curtis." He said as he started to walk back to his dorm.

"Goodnight Takashi" Curtis replied, watching him leave the room

The first time in a while. Shiro thought it might just be worth a shot trying to go back to sleep.