Ch.17 Double or Nothin'

It was the last period of the day, band. Ray and Ren were helping out our band director today. They were selected along with ten other students to set up the stage for our concert coming up.Which left the rest of us to practice, including James and I.

He was my 'body guard' for the time being. We were now putting our instruments up, and James kept pestering me all period after I told him I had a new project.

" What is it this time?" James asked me as he looked over my shoulder.

"It's a surprise," I stated putting away my instrument.

"Aww, why can't I see it? Ray and Ren aren't here and I won't tell the others," he said giving me his best puppy eyes.

I closed my case and got up to put my flute in my band locker. " Sorry you'll have to wait and see," I said giving him a wink and started walking.

James and I walked towards the art room. We were told to meet everyone there, and not to wait for them.

" What is it? Please tell me! " James said. I shouldn't have told him about my project.

"Nope, you can wait a little longer," I said flatly and walked faster.

"No fair!...Hey! Wait for me Camie!" He called out but I kept walking faster.

I must've spaced out because I ran into someone in the hall. I felt myself fall to the tiled floor hard. I groaned in pain. "Oh I'm sorry I wasn't looking where I was going," I apologized, still looking at the floor.

"No problem but I'm the one who's sorry," a deep voice said.

I looked up and saw a tall, muscular boy, with hazel eyes and bright red hair. He stood up and offered me his hand. " Here let me help you up." I grabbed his hand and he pulled me off the ground.

I knew I was going to get a nasty bruise, I fell pretty hard. I brushed myself off and put on a smile. " Thank you, and again I'm sorry for bumping into to you."

"Don't apologize, it's fine. Besides I would rather had you crash into me then someone else," he said, giving off a flashy smile.

Wow he's such a weirdo. " Oh! By the way I'm Troy Mares," he introduced himself.

"Hi I'm Camillia Bates, but they call me Camie," I said.

Before he could say something James came barging down the hall towards us. " CAMIE! DON'T WORRY ! I'M COMING!" he yelled running at full speed.

"Hey boy, NO RUNNING !" a teacher yelled at him.

"Okay!" He shouted but as he attempted to slow down he mysteriously tripped on air and slammed his face into the ground.

" Ouch, that's got to hurt," Troy said.

"That moron," I mumbled as I ran to James. He lifted himself up and sat on the ground. " What were you thinking? You can't shout and run down the halls like you own the place," I scolded him.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I was worried, you're not supposed to run off by yourself you know," he shot back looking at the floor, like a child that was waiting for his lecture. I sighed.

"Okay I promise not to run off again, but you need to be more carful," I said helping him up off the floor.

He saluted me and answered back, "Yes ma'am !"

I shook my head. " You're such a child."

" Sorry to interrupt but, you wouldn't happen to be a Johnson would you?" Troy asked. I nearly jumped out of my skin. He came out of no where.