1

The summer sunshine brought immense heat to GoldenFalls. It was the type of hot day where no one wanted to do anything. The kids were scattered all around the park, as school ended. They were all on the grass with the tree shade giving them some cooling.

Meanwhile, Mercury was riding her barbie bike all around the park. The six years old girl carefree and happy as she usually is. Everyone in town adored the girls innocence and pure happiness. Everyone but him. Donovan was the complete opposite of Mercury. His eyes full of hatred as he saw the little girl.

The ten year old boy was young yet so hateful. He envied the girl. He envied her happiness and obliviousness. Her obliviousness to the evil world around her.

Her obliviousness to him.

Donovan only wished he was as happy as her. As his parents were currently going through a divorce he wasn't getting the attention he needed. His parents didn't notice their child developing anger issues. They didn't notice him getting into fights at school. They didn't notice the multiple bruises on him. They didn't notice anything.

No one did.

Donovan hated everything. He hated his parents, his classmates, and himself. He hated how everyone around him was happy. He hated how he wasn't happy. He hated the park, school, and this stupid small town. He even hated how he hated everything.

His eyes never leaving Mercury who was still riding the bike. Her bright green eyes sparkling with pure happiness. Her platinum blonde hair bouncing almost every direction possible. Then suddenly she fell from the bike.

  This caught Donovan's attention as he for sure believed she would cry. But she did the quite opposite of that. She laughed. Her laughter was just as nice as she was. Donovan was shocked when his mother, who never pays any attention to him went to help the girl.

  "Oh sweetie are you okay?" said Linda, Donavan's mother. Donovan hated how nice and caring his mother was  to other kids. In the house she along with his father always ignored Donovan and simply didn't care on what he was doing.

   "Yes, Ms.Parker. I just thought I saw a Rollie Pollie on the floor and I didn't want to kill it," muttered Mercury softly. Mercury always felt shy talking to the Parker's because Donovan's harsh gaze was always on her.

"If only Donovan was as nice as you," said Linda, giving a flare towards Donovan. Mercury felt bad instantly. It was rumored in the playground that Donovan wasn't nice. Mercury was slightly scared of Donovan. Donovan was obviously taller than her and most of the boys in the fifth grade.

Donovan's face looked simply annoyed at his mothers comments. Donovan did have a harsh gaze upon Mercury. Mercury was looking around until her eyes met dark brown ones. Mercury looked at Donovan and then quickly to the floor. She couldn't hold eye contact with Donovan because it was too weird for her.

  "Where are you parents sweetie?," asked Donovan's mother. Mercury simply pointed to a bench where her mother was sitting on. Mercury's mother looked nothing like her. Linda, Donovan's mother, then walked towards the women on the bench.

  Sarah, Mercury's mother, was reading a book on birds. She looked up and saw Linda with a beaming smile.

"Hello, I'm Linda and this is my son Donovan. I've just noticed that sweet little Mercury fell and was wondering where her mother was," said Linda.

"Thank you for your concern. Although Mercury is such a clumsy girl. She's always tripping and falling," replied Sarah with a warm smile.

  As the adults were getting into a conversation, Mercury wanted to talk to Donovan. She was just always wondering what Donovan was thinking. Donovan wasn't like the other boys who were happy. Donovan always had a frown everywhere he'll go. Mercury always thought on why someone would be so grumpy and mad when life was so great.