SIX

The placement test was easier than it should have been, apparently. When Mr. Poot called me in, he told me just how impressed he was and that I'd done so well. He also offered to change some of the classes, like English and History, to AP classes. My math grade was just average, so he and I both agreed that it would be best if that stayed at a Senior's level.

So now I'm standing outside of my first hour class, pretending that the schedule in my hands wasn't one that I had seen before.
Ms. Rubek had decided to just give me Josie's schedule.

If she was so concerned about me trying to be Josie, why did she put me in Josie's place?

I shook my head, trying not to think about the fact that everyone was going to think the same thing Ms. Rubek thought.

Before I had any more time to think about it, I pushed the door open and stepped inside.
The teacher, Mr. Robins, snapped his head towards me fast, eyes open in shock until he realized who I was. Who I wasn't.

I was definitely following in her shadow.

"Oh, hey, Eleanor. Welcome to the class. Grab a seat and start listening." His eyes searched my face like he still thought that I was Josie.

I didn't like the way he looked at me. It didn't feel right.
Something was off with Mr. Robins, I just wasn't sure what.

Throughout the class, Mr. Robins looked at me every five minutes, reminding me of a bird when it was worried you were getting to close to something.

That made me laugh under my breath a little.
Mr. Robins was like a Robin. I wonder if Josie ever thought like a bird.

Robin gave all the kids an assignment at the end of class as they walked into the hall.

When he got to me, at the very end of the line that was heading out the door, he pulled the paper away before it reached my hands.

"You don't have to do this assignment if you'd rather spend your night playing catch-up," he told me, looking me dead in the eyes.

I stared back.

Finally, after a moment, he scoffed and hung his head down, shaking it and rubbing his forehead. "You look just like you sister."
Is that why he was looking at me all hour? Still, just because I looked like her? Maybe Josie was doing more things than I thought she was. But would she really go as far as to sleep with a teacher?

I forced the thought from my mind. I didn't think she would go that far. Josie was an adrenaline junkie, not a "Let's turn this person into a pedophile," junkie.

At least I hoped.

When Robin lifted his head back up, I saw guilt in his eyes so strong that I looked away.

Why did he feel guilty? "Are you okay?" I asked him.

I almost laughed at how weird this day was going so far. I was asking if someone else was okay?

He laughed tiredly. "I'm none of your concern. I should probably be asking you that question."

"Well, don't," I retorted before I could even think the words watch your tongue.

Robin looked surprised. I opened my mouth to apologize, but he stopped my by putting one finger in the air. "Don't apologize. I bet you're tired of hearing things like that, aren't you?"

I shrugged. Of course I was. But it wasn't really something you were supposed to complain about. "I think I'll take the assignment," I told him, changing the subject.

Robin shrugged and gave it to me, before laying a hand on my shoulder. "Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything."

He backed away before I could, and I ignored the niggling feeling in my stomach as I walked out.