ooi. blue moon

CHAPTER ONE . . . blue moon
act one / dragon of the sea

 blue moonact one / dragon of the sea

✧➶༉‧₊˚✧ ➶༉‧₊˚✧

     VALAENA VELARYON NEVER THOUGHT OF COURTSHIP AS SOMETHING SHE YEARNED FOR, even wanted. The idea of being betrothed to a high lord never once came across her mind as desirable. Running his court and giving him heirs was a concept far from her heart's desires. Her only desires were to see the vast world, to escape from the confinements of the dreary and wet walls of Driftmark in which she was kept.

     She wanted to sail east and explore the cities of Essos where the Sun dripped fire on the ocean and the sea breeze touched her hair.  Braavos and Volantis seemed like a faraway dream, but a girl could fantasise. Of course, the island of Driftmark was never as bad as she thought it was. Even though it was cold and Maester Aeragon could never seem to hear her properly whenever she asked him a question — it was home.

     Surrounded by salt and sea was what made the Velaryons. The true, the old, the brave are their words — words that were taught to her before she could even walk. Before Aegon the Conqueror came to the shores of Westeros, the Velaryons had already resided in Westeros. Her line was ancient, proud, and rich, her grandsire a close friend of King Aerys Targaryen.

     Being the first-born daughter to Lord Rhogar Velaryon and Lady Celia Velaryon, her father insisted his eldest daughter be married to a strong and highborn suitor. Her brother Jacaerys was betrothed to Myra Dayne, a shy Dornish maid of six and ten. Her little sister Elaenora, an irksome girl of twelve, seemed to be the only Velaryon child to love the idea of marriage and courtship.

     It was then no surprise for Valaena when her father demanded a tourney be held for her hand in marriage on her eighteenth Name day. All eligible sons of lords and knights were to come from all over the Seven Kingdoms to compete in a Jousting tournament, the champion being her future suitor. She thought it a ridiculous concept.

     "You cannot hide on this ship forever."

     Valaena stopped fixing the mast of her ship, named Blue Moon, upon hearing those words. The girl turned around to meet the disappointed face of her Aunt, Lady Visnora Celtigar.

     Her Lord father's younger sister, Visnora was a no-nonsense woman, but she was also kind with a faint air of sadness to her. After the death of Lucerys—her brother and Valaena's uncle—during the rebellion of Daemon I Blackfyre, her aunt never seemed to recover. Still, she was a woman Valaena admired dearly.

     "I am planning an escape," Valaena replied nonchalantly, staring into the distance. Tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear, she returned to her mast. The ship rocked slightly underneath her.

     All morning she had waited for the tide to rise so she could take Blue Moon out into the open blue waters. She didn't know how she would escape the events of the tourney, but she was determined to sail for a few days and return back when her father's mind would have most likely changed.