Chapter 14: Funeral

When I came out of my quarters, I walked outside. I was wearing a long black dress. Being normal didn't come easy to me, so I was going to have to get some practice :) . I walked out onto the landing platfrom and saw the pretty Naboo landscape. Wait, Naboo? I thought the funeral was to be held on Courascaunt!

I saw Master Kenobi talking with Captain Panaka. I am quite frankly astounded that Panaka was able to survive the past week, being so loyal to the Jedi.

"May I ask why we are now on Naboo?" I asked.

"Ahsoka, Naboo was the Senator's home planet. We went to Corascaunt to..." he stated.

"Take care of some things," Captain Panaka finished.

"Ummm...ok..." I started. "What time should I be where?

"Just be at Theed palace in about 10 minutes. Panaka and I are going to manage security," Obi-Wan said.

Seeing as I had 10 minues to get across the city, I hopped on a speeder and headed for Theed.

I got there as soon as everyone was finishing up with the visitation. The funeral was about to start.

I lined up with the political figures that Padme valued. Jar Jar was there, along with Senator Organa. I smiled for the first time in a while. It felt so good to know that you were never alone in your sorrows. Everyone here was having a difficult time surviving these few days.

Some people, it looked like a family, started gathering behind Padme's body. My guess was that they were her family. I walked over to them.

"I'm sorry for your loss. She was truly a remarkable person," I said. The little girl looked up at me. She looked maybe 5 years old.

"Padme was my older sister. We used to play together all the time before she went off to do government stuff," She said.

"I'm sorry. She was a great friend of mine. She will be missed."

"I know. She was always so kind to everyone." The little girl started crying and her mother turned around.

"Hello, Ms. Amidala. I'm Ahsoka Tano, Jedi Knight, friend of Padme's. I'm sorry for your loss," I said.

"Thank you, Ahsoka. This is what we were so afraid of with her going into the legislature. We didn't want this to happen. She had so much of her life left. She could have gotten married, raised a family..."

"I know that this may not be the best time, but there is some confidential information that I should tell you. Please don't repeat this to anyone. Okay?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Padme did get married. She did start a family. She died in childbirth."

Her mother looked stunned.

"Really? Why didn't she tell us? That's wonderful news! We could have helped so much with the-"

"Here's the catch." I interrupted. "She married a Jedi. That's why nobody was told. I wasn't informed until she asked me to help her take care of the baby once he or she was born."

Her face turned pale.

"It was her Jedi Protector all those years ago, wasn't it? His name was Anakin Skywalker."

"Yes, it was. I was only told because Anakin was my master. There's just one complication. Anakin turned to the darkside and became Darth Vader."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes. Please don't repeat this to anyone or I will get in a lot of trouble. I just thought you should know."

"Thank you, Ahsoka. I shall never forget. It is time we put this day behind us and move on."

"Of course. Nice meeting you," I said as I walked back to where I was supposed to be.

Once I was there, they started the funeral. We walked behind Padme as her coffin was lead through the streets of Theed. It gave me ample time to reflect on my past.

I remember all those years ago when I first became a padawan. I probably learned the most about character and integrity those few hours. Then there was the time that I had helped the Senator on her mission to give a speech about refugees on Alderaan. She was in danger of being murdered by my least favorite person, Aura Sing. I saved her, but not in the way I had expected.

There was also the time that I had spent smuggling her into Separatist territory to meet Mina Bonteri. That was a wonderful experience for me. I had learned so much about politics. There was also Lux. I don't really know how to describe my feelings on that matter. As I Jedi, I was forbidden to form attachments. Even though it was hard, my purpose had to come before my feelings on several occasions.

The rebels of Onderon were a goos example of that. I had to keep helping them, and not get distracted with Lux's presence. When Steela had fallen and died, I had felt like it was my fault. I was shot by that droid. How could I have been so stupid? I didn't mean to, but I was showing off a little bit by using the force to help Steela up. The droid shot me, and I let go. It wasn't on purpose, but it was my fault. Even now, I still feel as guilty.

Shortly after the battle of Onderon, there was my whole, um, misunderstanding with the entire Republic. Padme had represented me in the trial. She was always so kind. I was only found innocent because Master Skywalker had captured Barriss. I would have been executed if she were not caught. Padme and Anakin were the only ones who actually believed me.

Now, as I walk behind her body, I feel more conflicted then ever. Why did she have to die? Should I seek revenge? What would master Skywalker say if he were in my position? I keep forgetting that my master is gone. He was consumed by an evil called Darth Vader.