Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Christine didn't have the heart to use Erik's special powder to take Carlotta's voice away… or perhaps it was that she had too much heart. Either way, she considered seeing the green hair both 'treat' enough for herself and 'torture' enough for her enemy. She could still remember it vividly, the look of horror on Carlotta's face and the way she ran down the hall. A snicker escaped her lips.

"Yes, Ms. Daae?" Mr. White, her English teacher asked in frustration, having just been interrupted in the middle of an important lecture.

Her eyes widened and a blush rose to her cheeks. "Sorry, it's nothing," she squeaked. Christine could faintly hear snickers coming from the back of the room where Carlotta and her cronies were sitting. Carlotta's hair was now dark brown, which was a change from her old blonde color and the newer green color. Somehow, it seemed the hair disaster had been forgotten by most everybody. Her new color was now the new style around school. It made Christine mad just thinking about it.

Just great, Christine thought sarcastically. The day has already started badly. As if it wasn't bad enough that her cheek was still purple and slightly swollen from Carlotta's punch, she'd now gained the attention of the entire class.

But it's Friday! her thoughts suddenly reminded. That's right, I'll be with Erik in 8 hours. She slouched a little in her seat and tried unsuccessfully to focus on what Mr. White was saying.

The rest of the day seemed to rush by in a blur because her mind was barely where it needed to be. Instead of concentrating on school and such, she was fantasizing ways in which she could proclaim her love to Erik and he would return the words.

Yes, Christine had come to realize that it really was love she felt for Erik. Sure, she was only eighteen and still in high school, but she knew and trusted her own feelings. She also knew and trusted her own knowledge, though. That knowledge was interrupting her sweet fantasies and reminding her that the feelings could never be returned.

It was so frustrating! And yet, the discouraging thoughts were also becoming repetitious and highly annoying. That didn't matter, though, it seemed. They couldn't help but continue to plague her mind all the way up until she was parked in front of Erik's apartment.

When it came down to it, she was dreading this voice lesson because of her feelings.. yet she was also yearning to go through with it because of her feelings.

With a long sigh, she opened her car door and walked towards Erik's front door carrying her purse and a water bottle. She rang the doorbell and stood still waiting.

Unlike Christine, Erik hadn't had the distraction of school to sway his thoughts from the one particular topic that was consuming his life. Christine, Christine, Christine.. His thoughts were of nothing but that angelic girl. If it were possible, he would just love to keep her with him forever. To have her by his side day in and day out would be.. it would be like Heaven.

He'd spent the day thinking of her and finding music that would suit her voice nicely for the coming audition. She would have to sing three pieces for five judges and win their approval in order to take Beth Daae's place at the opera. Erik could already foresee his beautiful shining star lighting up the stage and impressing each judge. He could hardly wait to start preparing her for the songs of his choosing.

Finally, for he had been anticipating this voice lesson for quite some time, the doorbell rang. Erik left the kitchen where he had been preparing tea and walked to the front door. With noticeable grace, he opened it and stared down at her with soft eyes. "Good afternoon, Christine." He backed away giving her room to enter the apartment. Inwardly, though, he was frowning with concern and anger. Christine's cheek was still a bit swollen and bruised, although she had obviously tried to cover it with makeup. He only hoped that horrible witch who did it had paid for her crime. He couldn't wait to hear if his love had used his tricks against her. "You may go to the music room. I'll join you shortly."