9

The people in the reception pavilion were all startled. No one had expected that at this important juncture, Madam Du would actually turn out pregnant.

She had fainted at the entrance, making people believe it was caused by her anxious mind, but nobody had supposed it was pregnancy. Presently, the doctor diagnosed her, and she was indeed pregnant, just a month and a half in.

The old madam was the first to react, asking the doctor: “How is it, is the fetus healthy?”

The doctor nodded, “Only a little nausea. I just gave the fifth madam a prescription. Let her take it for several days, everything will go smoothly.”

The old madam nodded, looked at her youngest son Wei Kun, and suddenly didn’t know what to say to him.

Not only was Madam Du pregnant, the fetus was also doing well. While everyone was deliberating whether to keep her in the family or not, she was unexpectedly with child. If they sent her back to Count Zhongyi’s residence at this point, the Count’s family would bear a grudge against them, and Duke Ying’s reputation would also suffer a huge blow.

This divorce, regrettably, couldn’t be carried out immediately. They had to take it as slow as possible.

The old madam was ready to convince Wei Kun to take the whole situation into account, but he suddenly stood up from the armchair and shot out of the reception pavilion like a gust of wind, heading for the rear court.

Thinking he was going to look for trouble with Madam Du, the old madam hurriedly urged the eldest and the third sons to block him. However, the third master remained unmoved and didn’t have any intention to block him, saying with contempt: “He’s unable to manage his own woman, yet also needs me and eldest brother to take charge for him?”

The eldest master reprimanded him loudly: “Third brother!”

Even at such a time, those two brothers couldn’t make peace for one moment? The animosity between them wasn’t formed overnight, could it be they intended to carry this old issue to their coffins?

The old madam choked with anger at her third son, pointing at Wei Chang a few times, “Your fifth brother aggravates me, now you also want to aggravate me…”

Wei Chang felt sorry to his mother, since he was annoyed at Wei Kun, not at the old madam. Thinking it through, he ended up saying a few caring words as an apology, then went out of the reception pavilion.

Outside the pavilion stood a thin and small girl, dressed in a delicate green dress that made her appear all the more adorable. She raised her little face, her bright and intelligent eyes revealing curiosity: “Third uncle, I’ve just heard, is madam really pregnant? Is she going to give birth to a younger brother?”

The little girl was Wei Luo. She couldn’t enter the reception pavilion, yet wanted to know what was happening, so she was hiding outside the door eavesdropping. When she learned that Madam Du was pregnant, other than getting angry, she came to a realisation.

No wonder Madam Du hadn’t gotten punished. Despite losing her, she had managed to hold onto the position of the fifth madam. The biggest reason was right there, after Madam Du had come back from Huguo Temple, her pregnancy had been discovered. Even if Wei Kun was enraged, even if he was suspicious about Wei Luo’s disappearance, for the sake of the child, he wouldn’t be able to take an action against her for the time being. Additionally, Wei Luo hadn’t come back and couldn’t reveal the scheme. Wei Kun might have suspected Madam Du, but without any evidence, nothing could be confirmed. After a while, Madam Du had given birth to a child for Wei Kun, and the event had passed unexposed.