Chapter Nine

Present Day

The jeep crashed over the dirt road as Charlie clung to the Oh Shit bar above her head. As Owen hit another pothole, Charlie reached over and clamped her hand down on his wrist. "Owen." she said through gritted teeth, looking over at his with narrow eyes. "I understand that you want to get there quickly, but it won't do anyone any good if we die in a car crash on the way there." They hit another hole and Charlie was physically launched upwards out of her seat. Thankfully, her seatbelt kept her in place.

"I won't let us die," Owen rolled his eyes, narrowing his gaze on the road. The pressure and warmth of her hand on her bare skin made it difficult for him to focus, or at least more difficult than he wanted it to be. "Can you move your hand, I can't drive like that. Blocks my range of motion," he used the excuse quickly, noticing the way it caused her to recoil, to hold her hands tightly together in her lap. Mentally, he cursed himself for pushing her away again, though he still wasn't entirely sure why she had up and fucking disappeared on him in the first place. Everything was going great between them, by Owen's standards, excellent. It wasn't that often that he got romantically interested in someone. And then overnight, everything turned on a dime. Everything between them because strictly business. She didn't text him to grab her coffee anymore, didn't invite him over for beer and bad TV. And he still never knew what exactly had happened.

He wanted to ask, he really was tempted to. But was now the right time? During this emergency, and everything which was about to happen?

Fuck yes it was, they had literally almost died back there, because of Masraini's stupid idea of entertainment. This day had the potential to be a giant fucking mess. But maybe he should wait, just a bit, at least for them to get back to safety. They were still sitting ducks right now, driving this noisy car through the jungle, when who knows where that giant fucking cryptid creation was. If they survived today, he'd ask. He would ask her why she up and disappeared. He hadn't done a damn thing wrong. In fact, he was pretty certain he had done almost all of them right.

Charlie stared out of the window, watching the trees roll by. At least they weren't near the Pachy Paddock. That was further southwest, out of the way of the path the I-Rex had taken. So Red would be safe. But she thought about some of the other dinosaurs, the gentle giants, unaware that death was looming so close. It made her heart drop. Some of her patients were out there, in danger. They needed to get the ACU on this, immediately.

"What do you think is going to happen?" She asked quietly, still gazing out of the window, looking for any signs of movement. While she mostly meant what was going to happen about this specific incident, part of her wondered what was going to happen with the future. Jurassic World. Her job. This was the first major event to happen since....well, since before the park opened. This was her way of life, working here. What would happen to the team? Her friends who were now like family? What would happen to Red?

But of course, Owen couldn't know all the thoughts swirling like a drainpipe around her head. So he answered the question she was asking. "We're going to get to HQ, and if Claire hasn't already, we're going to shut this shit down."

It was comforting, honestly, how sure he was. How reliable. He didn't give away any sign of doubt, if he was feeling it. Charlie felt the exact opposite. Unsure. Worried. She didn't like that everything was out of her control. And she hated seeming worried. This wasn't her first brush with death. She was no spring chicken. She furrowed her brow as she watched the foliage pass by, bumping along at a slightly slower pace. She sighed, and turned to look back at Owen. "On second thought, let's pick up the pace."

He shook his head slightly, muttering something to himself, then he stepped on the gas, dirt kicking up beneath the wheels of the vehicle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two employees of the Park jogged down the halls, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and headed towards the Control Room. The door in front of them was slowly falling shut as a Security Officer entered the room that they so desperately needed to be in. Neither of their badges would work, after all. Neither of them were cleared to access the Control Room. Neither of them had that level of Security clearance.

Charlie kicked into full gear, powering towards the door and sticking out her foot, hooking the edge of it around her toes, before it could slam shut. Owen grabbed the handle, giving her a grin as he helped her steady herself, then the two of them stormed into the room, practically bringing the flames of Hell with them, the pair were so angry. Heads turned, swiveling to lock eyes on them. Claire was one of the first, and a relieved smile crossed her lips when she saw her and Owen standing there. Probably more happy about Owen, Charlie thought to herself, though this was really not the time. She couldn't quite help the bitterness, it was second nature at this point. But now, now was not the time.

"You guys made it, thank God," Claire placed a hand over her heart, taking a deep breath. "What happened out there?"

Charlie held up on thin finger, cutting off any one from talking. "We can get to that. First, I want to know what the fuck is happening up there?" She pointed her finger up at the screen in front of them, showcasing a truck full of soldiers being rolled out, into the jungle. She noticed the guns right away, she knew they were packing nonlethals. "Someone want to tell me why we're not about to blow that dinosaur sky fucking high?"