Chapter Eight

Back at home, Trent went straight to bed once we got inside. Both my parents were quiet the entire ride back, and still are as they’re right behind me. Just as I was about to ascend the stairs, my dad called me.

“Kat, are you alright?”

Still facing away from them, I shrugged.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not really. Now if you’ll excuse me, I would really like to go to bed. The day’s events have been too overwhelming,” I said as I continued to my room, not even glancing back at my parents.

Once in the confines of my own space, I undress and do my night’s ritual of freshening up. I get into bed afterwards and lie there, replaying what just happened earlier this evening.

The Crestwell family want to merge their company with ours by means of a marriage contract. Meaning, I would have to marry that arrogant jerk, Aiden. And to make things even worse, he knows my secret and uses it to blackmail me to go through with this plan.

Damn him. Damn Aiden, using my dark past against me.

What the hell do my parents think of this arrangement? I’m pretty sure that they are all for this merge, but what about me? Their only daughter? Are they willing to put me up for an arranged marriage?

I want to scream, and let this all out. Instead, angry tears come instead. This is so unfair. I have my own life, and I want to live it by my own terms. This is so unfair.

A vibration from my phone brings me back. Reaching to check who it is, my heart clenches when I see then sender of the text message. Dereck.

-Hey baby. I didn’t hear from you when you said you’d text when you got home. Are you alright?-

No, I’m not alright. That’s what I want to tell him. But I don’t want him to get caught up in my life dilemma. I want to keep him away from Aiden. Who knows what that bastard might do or say to Dereck. This man is the only good thing I have going in my life and I sure don’t want Aiden to ruin that.

I reply back.

-Sorry. I was rushed once I got home, I forgot to text you. But I’m alright-

-That’s good. Hope dinner went well-

Not really.

-Yes it did. Some business partners joined tonight. Very interesting dinner-

-Cool. Care to share?-

-No, it’s not really important. Mostly to do with the business and how to make it more successful-

-Ok. It’s late now. You’re probably tired. Go to sleep baby.-