Finley First Dates

Finley was my absolute favorite character in Saving Elliot and I thought he deserved a little bit of action, so here goes. Shout out to Rose North for creating such a wonderful character and storyline. I hope you enjoy reading this story about as much as I enjoyed writing it. Sorry if it’s longer than most one shots. I tried my best to keep the rambling to a minimum.

P.S. The title is a play off of the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore movie Fifty First Dates. Teehee. (Idk man I thought it was funny)

***************************************************************************************

I checked myself over in the mirror one last time. God, I couldn’t believe that I was actually doing this. Going on a date. With a boy. It made my stomach turn and left me feeling incredibly dizzy. I had thought about the day coming when I finally went out with someone, but I didn’t think that it would come so soon. Gay guys frequently said that it was hard to find a good guy to date in secondary school, and I had kind of believed those stories. I had just grown accustomed to the fact that my friends would all be dating, but that I wouldn’t find anyone until university. But as usual, Tamara had made sure that I was wrong.

Last week at Kopov’s party, she had thrown me at O’Connor’s cousin, Jamie Callahan. Literally.

“Finley, my darling, how do you feel about Jamie Callahan?” Tamara had asked as she sat down next to me.

“I don’t really know the guy,” I admitted from my spot on the sofa in Kopov’s lounge.

“I reckon he’s pretty hot,” Tamara replied as she took another sip of her drink.

I turned away from Tamara, my cheeks flaming red. “Tamara, please. Don’t start this right now.”

“What?” she asked as she feigned innocence. “Just making an observation. But my cup is empty, come with me to refill it?”

I looked at her making a puppy face, and laughed. “Alright, but only if you stop making that ridiculous face.”

“Deal,” she smiled, and grabbed my hand.

A few seconds into walking with Tamara, I realized she wasn’t taking me to the kitchen where the drinks were, but to the front room, where Jamie was sitting in the corner, talking to a short girl with long brown hair. But before I could turn around and walk away, or even tell her not to do anything stupid, Tamara epitomized stupid and shoved me straight towards Jamie. Since I had been caught off guard, I went flying, crashed into him and sent both him and myself sprawling on the floor. When I was untangled from Jamie, I looked up to give Tamara a dirty look, but she had already grabbed the short girl and started to leave the room.

“Sorry about that,” I apologised to Jamie.

“It’s no problem,” he laughed as he stood up. “My cousin warned me that might happen. Good to see you again mate.”

When he offered me his hand I took it, and stood up so that I was staring straight into his pale blue eyes. My breath hitched in my throat, but I was able to utter, “You too.”

Tamara may have been rather violent and overstepped her boundaries, but she had succeeded in getting me, Christopher Finley, a date. So I don’t believe that I can complain.

My doorbell rang. He was here. I gave myself one last look in the mirror, deciding that my slightly disheveled looking hair and my tartan shirt would have to do. Tamara told me that I shouldn’t look like I was trying too hard.