Friendly Team

Stretching my limbs after all the running I had to endure, I ponder to myself whether or not I should continue track. I enjoy running and it's a good fitness sport, but I haven't been as enthusiastic as I used to be about it. I sigh, staring at the locker infront of me while changing into appropriate school atire. Black jeans and a simple white t-shirt with a red jacket, though I could probably get away with wearing my track outfit for the day.

"Hey, Adora." An almost seductive voice catches me off guard. I've become accustomed to the surprising entrance no matter the circumstance, but at times I forget it happens. I laugh in response to the girl who is now leaning on a nearby locker with her hands in the pockets of her red hoodie and a smirk stuck to her face.

"Hey, Catra." I respond, closing my locker and start walking towards the classrooms. Catra follows me at my side. "So what have you been up to today?" Her face brightens.

"Oh you have no idea, first I chased this bird from my house to the fountain next to the station. Then I caught it and start to run to school with it. I dropped the bird when I saw some of the junior year levels playing with nerf guns and decided to join in on the fun." Looking at the girl next to me jump in excitement was always amusing, considering that no matter the day, something interesting always seemed to happened to her. "Professor Hordak caught us and blamed it on me though. I know I'm the oldest but I only joined in half way through the game." She groaned exaggeratively, ears and tail drooping momentarily. She quickly shifted her attention to me. "Track this morning?"

"Yeah, if I'm honest I really am not sure how I feel about it anymore. Last year it was so exciting and new to me, but this year it just seems like everyone relies on me to carry the team." I sigh and look to the brick building in front of us. "I'm thinking of quitting." I state simply.

"Quitting the track team? You're one of the fastest ones there, they all look up to you and support you" Catra has always supported my decisions since we were young, always questioning whether my thoughts lined up with how I felt. She stares me in the face before coming to the conclusion, "You really aren't happy to be there anymore, are you." I return her empathetic smile with a smile of my own.

"I feel like I'm the only one there sometimes. The school winning relies solely on me and never the other students." I don't want to come across as ungrateful for my skills but when it's the only thing people expect of me then I get discouraged. I notice as we walk into the building a lot of the other students are starting to arrive, many of which greet me. Normally when I'm on my own they start a conversation with me or ask questions about things. On the other hand, whenever I'm with Catra they keep their interactions limited to a quick friendly greeting. Catra steals my attention from the other students.

"Why don't you join a team sport?" I look at her with interest. Team sports had crossed my mind before but I wasn't sure of how to feel about them.

"Team sports? What are the options?"

"Pfft, I don't know. I don't pay attention to what people talk about when they scout me." She casually waves her hand to me, lowering her shoulders in a confident manner.

"You've been scouted before?" I ask almost shocked as she's never mentioned it before. Scouts are very strict with their candidates. They pick the best they can find. You'd be out of your head to reject a scout who sees potential in you.

"I've been scouted so much I can't even count." Catra shakes her head sighing.

"You mean you declined all of those scouts?" I frown at her. She shrugs at my expression.

"Pretty much. Although I did accept one. Maybe you can try it." Catra laughs as we enter the classroom. I remember her talking about starting to play a sport but she quit after her first season.