30. Their Story Part 2

Like he promised he came back the next summer and he brought many gifts along with him. He passed each person in the village a gift and everyone thanked him gratefully. Since I was ten now I was aware that my time here was limited and that the times I may see him was even more limited. During that summer I was preparing for my travels and was sewing a shirt for myself. Clothing took a lot of time and effort to make so I had to start early. When he saw what I was doing he was curious and asked me about it. After I explained that I was making clothes he suggested that I should go play because if it's clothes I want then he would ask his servants to buy as many clothes as I needed. I bluntly refused his offer.

He asked me why but I did not want to say. We ignored each other for three days because of this. This was also the only fight we had. After those days we went back to being ourselves and he even got me to play with the other village kids. I felt such joy that day when he helped me fit in.

At the beginning of our relationship, everything felt so childlike and simple. We were simply just friends, best friends. It wasn't until later on when our relationship grew to be much more than that.

After that summer he did not return for two years.

He came back on the summer of my 13th year and he went through a major change. He grew taller, his voice became deeper and the most noticeable change was that he became much more handsome.

A part of his personality also changed. He became much quieter and did not really want to be close with others, especially girls. However, he was still okay with me being around. Under the shades of the tree, he told me that he was absent for two years because he was sent for training. There he learned to use the sword, command an army and how to be an effective soldier. I did not think much and thought that his family were soldiers of the army and did not question what he said.

After finishing his stories he asked about what I did during these two years and I replied that I stayed the same, reading, eating sleeping, the usual. I did not tell him that I was going to leave the next year and that this would be the last summer that we will meet. During these two years, I had prepared almost everything I needed, clothing, shoes, money, food. All of those were stuffed away under my bed.

I will never forget that day. The day when the friendship between two children evolved to became a bond much more complicated and also much more unforgettable.

The day began with many clouds in the skies...

"Xing! Let's play hide and seek." A girl called out.

"Heh? Xiao Xiao, you know that we are way too old for that game." Xing said as she walked over.

"So? There no age limit for hide and seek. Of come on, only for one round pleaseee." Xiaoxiao begged and Xing could only give in.

Thanks to Yanjing, Xing was able to fit into the village and made friends. One of her first friend and her best friend is Xiaoxiao. Xiaoxiao was a very outgoing girl and would always be very lively and optimistic. She may be loud sometimes but she was like the sunflower of the village. Her positivity and smile can cheer up anyone.

Xing agreed and Xiaoxiao immediately let go and went for her next target, Yanjing. It did not take her long before she successfully pulled him in and got him to accept. It took him some time to pry her hands off of him and after he got Xiaoxiao off another wave of girls surrounded him. It was an ending wave and Xing watched from a distance away and could not help to laugh at the dilemma he was facing.

HIde and seek was a simple game and although the players were all teenagers, all the players are very competitive. Xing took a daring step and hid in a small cave that was covered by the drooping branches of a willow tree.