James and the Twins

James the red engine thinks he's splendid. He always minds his coat of paint and usually puts more effort into that than he does into his work. However, he is still really useful and does his best to impress the Fat Controller.

One morning at Tidmouth Sheds, the Fat Controller arrived to speak with James.

"James," he boomed "I have a special job for you."

James beamed and instantly became boastful. "Look at me!" He said to the other engines. "I'm about to get a special job. This job is obviously meant for only splendid red engines like me."

The Fat Controller cleared his throat. "James!" He boomed. "May I finish?"

James turned red with embarrassment. "Yes sir." He said, meekly. "Sorry, sir."

"Now," said the Fat Controller "your special job is that I need you to go down to help out at the China Clay Pits."

James was shocked. "But sir!!!" He cried. "I'll get all dirty there! It's-"

"Really useful engines do as they are told." Sir Topham Hatt interrupted and he left.

Once Sir Topham Hatt was gone, the other engines laughed.

"Not so splendid now, James?" Gordon chortled.

"Oh dear, how will you ever survive with your your paint all dirty?" Put-in Percy.

James sighed.

"It's alright, James." Said Thomas. "You're being a really useful engine. That's what matters the most."

James didn't feel any better, unfortunately, and he left the sheds, grumbling.

Later that day, James arrived at the China Clay Pits. He was greeted by Timothy.

"Hello, there." Said Timothy. "You must be James?

"Yes." Sighed James.

"Well, welcome to the China Clay Pits! We're glad you're here to help!"

"We?" Asked James.

"Why, yes!" Timothy Replied. "I'm not the only one working here. I work with Marion and Bill and Ben."

James was shocked. He almost forgot that Bill and Ben worked at the China Clay Pits. He became cross.

"Bill and Ben?" He cried. "I can't possibly work with those two... rats!"

Timothy was shocked. "Oh, they're not that bad, James. Yes, they play tricks often but, they're really useful."

However, James didn't agree one bit.

Just then, Bill and Ben puffed up besides Timothy.

"Hello, James." Said Ben, cheekily.

" Yes, welcome to the China Clay Pits." Added Bill. "We have some tucks to shunt for you. Follow us."

James sighed and he followed the twins to the sidings.

Bill and Ben did not treat the trucks well. The trucks didn't like Bill and Ben at all.

"Are you sure you two know what you're doing?" Called James.

"Yes!" Said Bill, straining. "Everything's just fine!"

At last, Bill and Ben successfully shunted James' train. Timothy puffed up beside him.

"Now, it's off to the docks with you, James." He said. And with that, James buffered up to his train and set off.

James was having a difficult journey. The trucks weren't behaving and James was getting annoyed.

"Come on, you stupid trucks!" He called.