Chapter One

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is where I'll be posting sample chapters of Book Two of THE SCARY TALES. The full text of Book One, THAT RISEN SNOW, is available on Wattpad. If you haven't read it, please do consider reading it first. I likely won't be posting the entire text of THAT WICKED APPLE anytime soon. So, please be aware of that before starting this book. However, if you'd like a free ebook copy of the complete text of THAT WICKED APPLE, I'll email you a free copy in exchange for an honest book review of THAT RISEN SNOW on Amazon.com.

Here's how it works: 1) Read THAT RISEN SNOW here on Wattpad. 2) Post an honest, unbiased review on Amazon.com (http://myBook.to/thatrisensnow). 3) Once your review goes public on Amazon.com, email me to let me know either via my website or Wattpad. 4) I'll email you the ebook for THAT WICKED APPLE.

And if you'd like to receive advance reader ebook copies of future books in THE SCARY TALES series in exchange for honest reviews, please sign up for my email newsletter at http://www.robboley.com. Plus you'll get information on upcoming releases, contests, and appearances, as well as a free short story!

Okay. Enough yapping. On with THAT WICKED APPLE: A SCARY TALE OF SNOW WHITE & EVEN MORE ZOMBIES!

CHAPTER ONE

Queen Adara

BIRDS CHIRPED AND TWEETED their morning songs when Adara arrived at the seven dwarfs’ meager cottage last summer. Clutching her basket of apples in one hand, she held the cursed apple separately. The birds twittered nervously, their loyalties torn between her and the maiden Snow. Squirrels and bunnies shot her dirty looks.

“Leave us,” she whispered, and the birds took flight. The animals scampered.

A cloud loitered in the sky. It had followed Adara all the way from her capital city Platessa here to the far edge of her Eastern Kingdom. Even using the Soar Pass, the journey had taken several days, as she traveled not as royalty but as an old hag. She suspected the cloud was drawn to the apple that tingled in her palm like a devious cat purring.

She crossed the dwarfs’ yard and cringed at the thought of stumps living on her land.

Behind the kitchen window, Snow was making piecrusts. Her hair was disheveled and her eyes wore heavy lids, yet she was still gorgeous. Humming as she pressed dough, she paused only to drink from a crude ceramic mug.

Reflected in the window, Adara marveled at her own magical transformation: silver hair draping a wrinkled face, teeth crooked and yellowed, skin like rotten fruit. Her eyes, of course, were as beautiful as ever.

From behind the glass, Snow gasped.

Knife in hand, the girl opened the window.

“What the hells are you doing out there?” she demanded, alcohol thick on her breath.

Tsk. And here the dew was still on the leaves. Adara noted Snow’s use of the plural hells. The simpleton had spent too long with these dwarfs.

“Are the boys around?” Adara said. “I brought them some of my best apples.”

She told the foolish girl that she lived in the next valley and sometimes sold fruit to the dwarfs. And though she usually came at sunrise, this morning a twisted ankle had delayed her. Pitying her, the simple Snow invited her inside and offered her a chair at the dining table.

They sat across the table from each other. Snow still held the knife and tapped it nervously against the tabletop. When Adara asked if she was the dwarfs’ maid, Snow laughed, a sound as joyous as wine trickling into a clean glass.