02

Carmella's eyes opened, she looked up at the ceiling above her, that was an awful sleep.
The bed she lay in was hard, making her back ache.
Sighing to herself, the brown haired girl got up and removed her silk pajamas and put on a cheap pair of mom jeans and a white blouse.
She had no idea if the Hotel had room service, but she needed breakfast.
Iris, the woman at the reception desk hadn't really gave her much of a description of how the Hotel worked unfortunately.
Carmella walked to the door and twisted it open, stepping out into the hallway.
It was empty, it confused her. She had never seen such a lonely and quiet Hotel before, she had only seen two people so far which was not usual.
She made her way downstairs to the lobby and walked to the table, Iris was missing again.
Her fingertips pressed against the bell as she started waiting for the elderly woman to appear.
"Do you need anything Miss Miller...?"
Carmella swiftly turned around and seen the man from before. He seemed to be wearing the same outfit from yesterday, his hair was also styled the exact same way.
It's almost like he never changed, but that'd be impossible.
"Oh, I was looking for the Receptionist lady to ask about room service."
"You can ask me that then, since I am the owner."
Carmella looked at him in confusion, "You own the Hotel? I expected it to be someone a lot older, since this place is old."
James chuckled, "My father passed so its mine. And I think I have done a pretty good job of the place. Wouldn't you agree?"
She nodded, "it's beautiful, really old fashioned but in a good way. It has its own charm I guess."
Part of her wanted to complain about the beds, but complaining wasn't apart of her nature.
"Well thank you Miss Miller. Yes, it's unique compared to other places... oh excuse me, I'm way off topic. You wanted to know about room service? Yes we do Room Service. If you liked I can tell the cooks what you want rather than you calling down."
She thought for a second. "Hm.. it would be convenient to eat here but, you know what. I should be exploring these streets more. I'll pass on that offer. But thanks anyway!"
Carmella smiled, then a pen dropped out of her pocket.
She sighed and picked it up, which avoided her from seeing the frown on the owners face.
"I'm so clumsy aha.." she stood up and looked around seeing nobody in sight.
Her confusement had peaked, unable to explain where the man had went in such little time.
Carmella put the pen back in her pocket and tried to ignore what had just happened, she walked out of the Hotel and stepped into the fresh air.
She looked around and spotted an area just two doors down, a small cafe.
Her legs moved towards the place and she pushed open the stiff door. The place was quiet, with only two tables being used.
Carmella went to the cashier and studied the glass display which showed the foods the place had.
"I'll have.... a pancake with maple syrup please." She digged in her pockets for her money but stopped when she realised they were empty.
Her eyes widened, she looked at the cashier. "Shoot, I forgot my money. I'm just in the hotel nearby, I'll be back."
The Latina woman at the cash register muttered something under her breath which Carmella couldn't hear.
"Be nice to the girl."
Carmella turned around seeing a man, he had dark brown hair but beautiful blue eyes.
"Here, use my money. It'll save you going back into that dump."
The man handed her a twenty dollar note.
"I can't take this, it's fine. It'll only take me two minutes."
The money was snatched off her in and instant then handed to the Latina lady.
"Pay for it with this."
"Wait no do—"
"Sh, it's fine. Doing my duty as an American citizen." The sarcasm in his voice was noticeable.
"Anyways, my name's Donovan. I actually live in that Hotel. So I'm sure we'll see each other again and then you can repay me."
Carmella nodded hesitantly, "Ok.. er, it's Carmella, Room 63. Come to me as soon as you can, I'll have the money ready."
She turned around to the cashier who had an angry look on her wrinkled face. The door closed, letting her know Donovan had most likely left.
"Don't be stupid girl, he wants you to repay with sexual favors. That Donovan boy is not a good person."
Carmella looked at the woman concerned, "what do you mean?"
"Are you stupid young girl? He will blackmail you into getting into the bed with him. Keep that change and don't give it back."
The woman handed her the change of 14 dollars and 50 cents.
Carmella put it in her pocket. "Oh.. um okay?"
The plate with the warm pancake was handed to her, a small ceramic cup on the side filled with maple syrup.
"Than—"
"No, thank you Miss."
•°•
Donovan stepped into the Hotel Cortez, heading up to his room that he shared with the beautiful woman Elizabeth Johnson.
Expecting to see her alone, he opened his mouth to speak but seen the familiar Cortez owner there speaking.
He walked in and folded his arms, listening in on the conversation.
"It's seems we aren't alone anymore Elizabeth."
"Shut up James, get out now." The woman's voice was heard.
"Gladly."
James turned around looking at Donovan with a smile, which had the younger man dumbfounded.
James Patrick March had never liked him, filled with jealously for stealing the love of his life, but for once, he didn't have the usual scowl on his face.
"What's got him so happy?" Donovan said when the older man eventually left.
"I have no idea, I expected his usual begging, but none. He might have finally moved on. Maybe I'll finally be able to relax."
"He's a stupid man... anyways. I found us a girl. Hopefully she'll be here tonight."
"What's she like?" The Countess questioned, walking around the expensive room.
•°•
Carmella brushed her brown hair and looked at her appearance in the mirror, happy to see the last scar on her cheek finally healing.
"Finally, every part of that man will be out of my life."
She heard a knocking on her door, and grabbed the money on the dresser.
She had decided that the Latina lady was just being crazy. There was no way she was going to get blackmailed, that'd be stupid.
Carmella walked to the door and opened it up, expecting to see Donovan, she was surprised to see nobody.
She stepped out and looked around, still seeing no signs of a person.
"Must be that kid, again."