02

My whole life I've had to think outside the box; why do these creatures exist? I don't think it's just to kill us, I think they're a pawn in a game THEY have created.

Even though the path I took to the shop was quicker, I know I can't take it. If I do, there's a chance ruby could be walking home, and the nightmare that attacked me could be following me. I can't put her in danger, not her.

Taking the parks scenic route I am masked by the trees that tower over the path, their shadows taunting me as I can't see what's between their weaving trunks.
I feel the grounds rubble crunch underneath my sneakers, the moist air sticking to my skin like shower steam to a mirror, causing my hair to stick to my face.

I don't know if my wound is taking a toll on my vision or my endless amount of anxiety. I start to panic, my feet taking me where I need to go, but I know at this speed I won't make it home in time.

I start to pick up speed, my breath becoming more frantic with every thought that rushed into my head.

I see my two story house in view, the off white picket fence   Nearly in my reach. 
I run to it, my hands shaking from adrenaline.
" please", I plead before reaching to the gate that would save my fate.

"I do not allow you inside the opalescent home, the sunlights rays will reach you even in darkness!", I scream, racing for the front door. 
By denying the nightmare entry, they can't enter the home unless they kill the home owner and I'll be dammed if ruby dies. 

I feel myself suddenly relax, and once again I am met with the inside of my home.
I release a breath, hoping that the shade granted by the trees around my home won't fault me.
I feel the ground underneath me shake, then nothing.
I stand there for a good ten minutes, and when nothing had come of it, I shift into the kitchen, my eyes casting downwards towards the tail of blood.

" Maddie?", I hear my brother call, it seems he woke up from the disturbance I have caused. I turn to face him, " i-I'm sorry, I just-...", I stumble, I can't even get a full sentence to pass my lips without hesitating or stumbling.

I see Luke's eyes travel from my tear stained face, to my bloody legs. His reaction wasn't anything less then I expect.

" another attack?", he asks, rushing over to me with a concerned expression. Grabbing a tea-towel on the way over to me, he usher softly to sit down on the island tables chair.
I nod, feeling him apply pressure to one of my legs before he applies pressure to both.

He frowns, his red hair creating a shadow over his eyes.
" these might be too deep, I'll carry you up to your room to rest", he speaks before picking me up in his arms.

I feel a tightness in my chest, my eyes growing heavy yet I still try to stay awake.
" I'll call ruby, stay here", he speaks before carrying me into my room upstairs.

Laying me down on my queen sized bed I feel a familiar comforting feeling.
The sheets pushed aside so I wouldn't stain them with my blood.

He swears under his breath, I can tell he hasn't gotten much sleep and he's running on fumes.

I speak up, " you can't call ruby, what if they kill her? They might have followed me home", I plea for him to change his mind.
He agrees, only because he knows she has no chance against a nightmare.

He pauses for a moment, only to close his eyes and open them again.
I'm not sure why he did it, but the atmosphere around him felt dense. It was suffocating.

" Luke", I call his name, Luke instantly snapping his head in my direction. 
He smiles, whatever he was thinking about obviously wasn't great.

Applying pressure to both my legs he releases a breath, " should I go to the hospital?", I ask, trying to break the silence.  He shakes his head, his hands shaking as he checks the wound underneath the cloth.
He shakes his head once again, " I just think you should sleep, don't worry about anyone else. I'll dress the wounds properly", he spoke before rushing out of the room.

He doesn't leave me much room to complain, nor enough room to pipe in.

Coming back into the room with a cup of tea and a first aid kit he dresses the wound free handing me a hot cup of tea.

" Luke, I can hardly keep my eyes open. I don't think-", he cuts me off.
" drink the tea Maddie", he speaks sternly. 

I gaze down at the steaming hot tea, it's a deep red and smells like caramel. This tea brings back memory's.

Sipping the tea I watch him frantically trying to dress my wounds; they've stopped bleeding, but if I leave them like this I'm  prone to infections.

I feel myself slip in and out of consciousness, before I could fall completely into the pit of darkness we call sleep, Luke takes the tea from my grip.