2 - THE INTERVIEW

JUDE WAS HAVING A TERRIBLE MORNING

JUDE WAS HAVING A TERRIBLE MORNING. He woke to the sight of sun peeking through his curtains, which meant he had drastically overslept. He jumped to his feet in an instant, looking towards his alarm clock, sighing when he realized he still had three hours before he had to go to his interview.

Which meant he had absolutely no time to prepare.

"Ramona!" he called, rushing out of his room and into the living room which connected right towards the kitchen, catching sight of his roommate who was idly sipping coffee in only a large t-shirt.

He skidded to a stop, a painful feat on the carpet, splaying his hands out on the counter, shocking her slightly, and he was sure he was a shocking sight, still in his sleep clothes with his hair flattened on one side, which was something that only happened when he passed out so thoroughly on a night he was sure would have no work waiting for him in the morning.

Ramona didn't say anything, simply picking up the pot of coffee and reaching up towards the pantry behind her, grabbing Jude's favorite coffee mug and pouring it perfectly halfway, just the way he liked it, passing it over while motioning towards the extra niceties they had on hand.

Ramona Brigham had been his best friend in college after she approached him at a party he didn't want to be at and dumped a kitten into his arms, whisper shouting that it was their secret before jumping onto a pool table and dancing. Jude had waited until the party had ended to try and return the kitten, but couldn't find her then, which led to a three-day long search across campus for the girl, finally finding her in a sorority house putting up flyers around the neighborhood for a lost kitten.

Now they were living together, which was fun, except for all the times that it wasn't, but Jude was glad for the company and the split rent, and Ramona liked being in charge of someone's fun levels, so they balanced out each other nicely enough.

"I have an interview in three hours," he said, not looking as he went through his usual routine of getting his coffee set up, "Breanna gave me the directions, but it's on the opposite side of the city, which means I have to take the train, but the train is always slow, and I'm not physically or mentally prepared, and I don't even know who I'm going to be working for, because Breanna told me it isn't Obadiah Stane, he's just the one who's holding my interview."

"First off, the whole reason you got sacked is 'cause you kept calling her Breanna, you seriously need to not do that anymore," Ramona said, holding up a finger, and Jude only sighed and rolled his eyes because he already knew that, but it was too hard to break.

"Second," she continued, holding up another finger, "Obadiah Stane? Do you seriously not keep up with the news, even I know who he is, and I don't work in your field."

"Who is he?" he asked, stepping around the counter towards her, mug in hand, and she shook her head, pretending to zip her lips.

"If you don't know, then you're just gonna have to find out," she sang, motioning towards the clock above their door, "Now drink your coffee and get going, you have a lot to prepare for. Your hair is a mess."