Chapter Twenty-Six

My friend and I looked back and forth between each other. You knew this was coming. Look what you did now. Good luck fighting whoever Beck's got in there with just your pocket knife. Maybe they'll actually kill you this time. That's what you deserve. Liam picked up his laptop and showed it to us, his face as red as the UT t-shirt he had on.

"You and your fucking machete are getting the three of us expelled!" he said. My heart dropped. Any more lives you want to ruin? "I'm over here looking up plane tickets to go home, because they gave us a week to move out. I knew you were bad news! I knew it!"

Put your hood up and leave. I shook my head. Kai was mumbling to herself in an effort to form a sentence. Put your hood up and get out of here. You've done enough. My hands balled into fists.

"I'll do what I can to reverse their decision," I said.

"Yeah, okay," he said, laughing. "You've done enough, Taliah. Just get out of here!"

"It's not over until it's over," I said, walking towards the door. "I will fix this, I promise, Liam."

"Get. Out," he said.

Kai followed me out the door and to the elevators. I pressed the button, put my hands in my pockets, and waited.

"They took my cloak," I said.

"That's what you're worried about? The cloak you've had for like, a million years?"

"It's my favorite thing to wear, much like that bracelet you have on our wrist." I watched as she looked down at the pink and purple beads. She put her hand behind her back. "It has sentimental value." The doors opened. "And yes, I feel guilty and awful about Liam and Drake, in case you were wondering. But they're not expelled. Not if I have anything to say."

"I know I'm the super-positive one, but I don't think there's really anything you can do about it," Kai said.

"We'll settle it down at the office."

The journey across the puddle-filled campus would be a long one. Kai hugged herself in the denim jacket that covered her frilly blouse. Her knee-length lavender skirt was dotted with wet spots. The rain was relentless. I pushed on. The campus safety office was located in the far corner of the campus, right behind the new sports complex completed over the summer. Those who ventured there to pay parking tickets or report stolen items would find themselves isolated from the rest of the university.

Kai and I were in the same position: far from everyone else, secluded in that one dark corner. She pressed her glasses up to the doorway of the dormant building. I did the same, but with my ear. Nothing.

"They're closed on Sundays," I said.

Kai lowered her scarf and a grin swept across her face. "Not to you, though! But is it alarmed?"

"I don't care. Get your knife ready."

"Okay. Let's save the day!"

I smiled and wrapped my hands around the door. This had to be it: the final showdown. I pulled. The door opened with ease. We stepped inside to the empty lobby, the door closing behind us. I drew my pocket knife and went for the front desk. Nobody was hiding beneath it.

"Should we try that door?" Kai asked, pointing to the metal door to my left marked Faculty Only.

"Yes. Stay close to me."