chapter 3- Dread

Author's note: I think from now on the story will be in first person, as Mirana's story, as I'm most comfortable with 1st person writing.
————————-

No

That's not right.

I'm just imagining this.

But the necklace...
definitely belonged to my sister, May.

Tears started streaming down my face. Deep down, I've always been terrified of the thought of this.

And looking up at the eyes of my parents. I realized that what I was always afraid of was actually happening.

The tears in their eyes confirmed it.
They ate May.
Their own daughter.

For a whole minute, I knelt on the hard dirt ground, in front of 'May', staring blankly.

How can this be, we only went hunting today. And we definitely got enough to cure their hunger.

Mother Jane started to speak, "Listen Mira, when you left to the river and separated from us after raiding. WE were raided, by five men. They took away all we got from the raid and we were lucky enough to have survived. But May was badly hurt, and the bleeding couldn't stop. She was going to die anyways. And it's been at least a month without good food. So it was out of our control, we had to eat what is there for us, and since May was already going to die, it would've been a waste to just leave her. I'm sorry Mira."

"Why, why, why. May didn't deserve any of this, how can you do that to your own daughter."

By now I could not think properly anymore, the sight of that made me feel disgusting, but what's more, it made me hate my parents. 

Thinking now on the cold hard floor, with my parents' hard cold eyes watching as time slows down for all of us.  I realized that can't live with them like this anymore, who knows when they'll eat ME. 

I have to leave.

Quickly I picked up the blue necklace and rushed by the door and picked up my already packed travel bag and my bow. And without taking a single look back, I ran out of the house and went straight to grab Neero from his dwelling.

"Hey, Mira what are you doing, it's getting late you should go sleep."

I wasn't in the mood to talk, but I opened my hands and showed Neero the bloody necklace, Neero instantly recognized it.

"No... that's May's necklace, the one we found for her.  So they finally did it.  and you're finally leaving."

I didn't expect Neero to come with me because he can still benefit from my parents.  However, he quickly went to the back of his room, grabbed his travel pack, weapons and his axe, as he grabbed my hand and lead me out of his house into the darkness of the night sky.

"Come on let's go, why would I stay here with them when neither you or May will be here anymore"

I smiled to him weakly as we set off on our way to....where?

We were walking along the skinny and shrunken river, as Neero asked the question,

"So where exactly are we going?

"I'm not exactly sure, but remember the place May always talked about, what was it? Oh yeah, it was called paradise.  They place of happiness, with sunshine and warmth always around, kids happily playing with their families, and the surplus amount of ACTUAL food.  Remember? she always told us about it in from her dreams"

"Yea your right, we'll find paradise, for May.  There, we will all finally be happy together, and May can rest in peace, in the place of her dreams"

"Yep, I don't know where paradise is, but you know what, since it's a land of sunshine and happiness, we'll keep by the river where there'll always be food, and we'll follow the direction of the sun."

"Ok, let's go"