03

Two weeks later, I decided to visit Daniel in the hospital. Caked with makeup yet stripped of my dignity, I poured my heart out to my unconscious brother. That same night, the doctors told me that his dementia was getting worse and the treatment would become more expensive. I felt empty. The world and media saw me as having a glamorous marriage with the CEO of a multibillionaire company. Oh, how they were wrong.

I drove home, having a hard time concentrating on the road. I parked in the driveway and exited the car. When I glanced up, I noticed a dark figure on the balcony of our bedroom. Demetrius was home. My back stiffened as I unlocked the front door and stepped inside the silent house. I trudged up the stairs and slowly turned the knob of our bedroom door.

The room was dark, moonlight streaming through the open balcony door, being the only source of light.

"How was Daniel?"

"How did you know I was at the hospital?" I asked, ignoring his question. Frankly, I was terrified of him knowing my whereabouts.

"Don't you think I keep tabs on my wife?"

He stepped towards me, closing the distance that had given me a small sense of comfort. I held down my head and said the words that would hold a significant amount of weight.

"I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Do what?" I could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

I hesitated in my answer, then finally muttered a quiet never mind. I was silent, but I could hear his heavy breathing; he was angry. He held my jaw in a painful grip, forcing me to look into his eyes.

"Demetrius, you're hurting me," I said, expecting him to loosen his hold. Surprisingly, he didn't, instead tightening his grip on my jaw.

"For the best interests of your brother, I advise you not to mention what happened the week before to anyone. It's not like they'll believe you over me anyway."

"What are you talking about? Why are you mentioning Daniel?" I pleaded, ignoring the pain it brought to speak. He chuckled darkly.

"It seems like you've forgotten that I pay your brother's hospital bills."

"No you don't. I even paid them up to..." I trailed off. I hadn't paid it for four months. My eyes widened at the realization that he basically held my brother's life in his hands.

I snapped out of my thoughts as he released me, throwing me to the ground. After that night, he abused my in some form every day; verbally, physically or even sexually. I was slowly losing my mind. I was stuck in a box without anyway to escape. I finally decided I wasn't staying in his clutches. I formulated a plan to leave.

A/N: Psst... If you click that little star below it fills itself in. It's like magic. ;-)