Two sides of Xmas

Hi! So in between the Common Past, I have one story for you. There's nothing new about it becasuse I wrote it in 2015 for entirely different, non-kpop ship. Time goes by and I can't help but come back to it each year. Usually I don't like my works too much but it's special somehow and I decided to turn it into Markhyuck story this year. It's very long but totally heartwarming tale ideal for Christmas time - not too professional but just pleasant. Hope you'll love it as much as I do in its silmplicity. 

I knew that I was dreaming about something good. I could not put it in specific words but I felt bliss by the very fact of being suspended between the world of reality and the world of beautiful dreams. I got the smells and sounds of a living home but at the same time I was stuck somewhere - amid the colorful illusions of the imagination. I couldn't quite decide in which dimension I preferred to stay, which is why I thanked the higher powers for the fact that someone else always made that choice for me.

"Uncle," I heard a low whisper at my ear. "Are you sleeping?"

"No" I murmured into a pillow.

"Uncle Mark went to work and I'm bored. We will go for a walk with a dog? "

"Sure" I sighed, lifting myself reluctantly from the mattress. I looked at my watch and then at Hayoon. The girl sat cross-legged on the other half of the quilt and looked at me intently. "Are you sure that your uncle went to work?" I asked in astonishment noticing that it was only seven in the morning.

"Yes" she nodded. "Grandma called."

"Well, since grandmother called..." I murmured, stepping out of the room. I heard the quick patter of feet behind me and smiled under my breath as the girl leaped ahead of me, rushing toward the kitchen. Milo also revived immediately, lifting his heavy head from the pillow on the couch. He clearly took advantage of Minhyung's absence in the house, who would probably kill him for squeezing the bed in the living room. Fairy tales were set on the whole regulator and crisps scattered on the kitchen counter.

My relationship with Mark's mother was not the best. In general relations with this whole family can be described as quite unpleasant. Lee is a name that is associated with prestige, money and a huge telecommunications company. The number of shares on various foreign markets protects them from financial problems even in the immediate risk of bankruptcy. It is clear that a boy from an average wealthy family, in which the father is an electrician and the mother a cleaner, will not be the perfect material for son-in-law. After all, how does it look in papers? On the marriage certificate, their son should show the name and surname of a distinguished, proud lady with a representative appearance and impeccable pedigree. Lee with Jeju's background sounds like some illegal Italian immigrant; in addition - a man. My love for her as mother-in-law was, however, equally great, so we didn't see each other often and the Lees gave our apartment a wide berth. If they wanted to see their son somewhere, it was in the company because I hardly existed in this closed world for the chosen ones.

Did it bother me?

Not really.

I had Minhyung, I had Milo, I had a loving family, fantastic friends and a job I liked. I didn't need the approval of someone I did not care about. Sure, it would be nice if the parents-in-law wanted to create some ties but if they preferred to keep distance, our relationships could be quietly limited to holidays and birthdays; it was enough for me.

The worst thing about all of this is the fact that certain genes you can unfortunately inherit and get the specific amount of them with upbringing from home in a package. Mark has many attributes of his parents. The hard character of his father was manifested in the fact that if I wanted to break any of his ethical principles, I could give up at the beginning. Pride, honor and moral code were cardinal issues for him. The next thing was the pedantry taken from his mother. Everything in our home had to be arranged, clean, balanced and appropriate. Maybe the boy  through such a description seems to be a stiff dick but it is rather my subjective, slightly caricatural vision of his flaws. It's logical that it is not like that all the time. In the end, after all, we went down this fucking aisle in spite of the fact that I am the complete opposite of black-haired. We can say that Mark's rules are only to compensate for the chaos that would come here if he did not decide to keep me in check. We simply share certain tasks in this relationship. I am responsible for panic, mess, emotionalism and forbearance and Minhyung for self-control, order, cool realism and marketing ruthlessness and tenacity. Someone from the outside would never even think that two such extremely different people can create any relationship. But we do.