One Last Day

when the party's over - Billie Eilish

__

I spent the last day of existence in the corner of a small club.

It wasn't the ideal spot. The music was loud but no one was dancing. The air was filled with a thick tension. It didn't smell of drinks and sweat like usual, instead there was the soft talking between people as they stood beneath the neon lights.

I wondered if they were like me, stranded across the country from their family. If I hadn't run away on this trip I could've been home on the ranch, sitting on the sun porch with my family as we watched the sky for the asteroid that carried the destruction of all humanity with it. Instead I was here alone, in the most depressing club crowd that had ever walked the face of the earth.

Someone walked past me, staggering and holding a cup. It spilled slightly next to my foot, the small puddle glistening in the moving lights. I moved my foot away from it and pulled out my phone. The wifi was spotty but I could see that there were no notifications from my mom. No one had texted me to ask if I was alright. No one had checked in to see if I was coming home.

No one cared.

"Hey," Someone said, sliding down next to me. I turned my head and saw a gorgeous girl sitting against the wall, her arms wrapped around her knees. She was wearing jeans and a loose-fitted top. Her blond hair was long and thick, brushing against my shoulder and covering her eyes.

"Hey."

"I'm Claire." She looked at me expectantly.

"Raven." I looked back at my phone before tucking it away in my pocket.

"It's crazy, knowing that the world is going to end and we're just sitting in a club."

"Mmhmm." I muttered, "Why don't you leave, then?"

She laughed, "Because it's even more depressing outside. No one is moving. This seems to be the only place people are coming, besides the churches. That's where my family is." She sighed, burying her head in her arms.

"Why aren't you with them? I can't get to my family and it's killing me."

"Because I won't miss them. We're all about to die, none of us will be around to miss anyone. Why spend our time with people we've known all our lives when we could be making new friends and changing other peoples lives before we all die?"

"People like me?" I stood up and she followed my movements. "Why me? There are a lot of people in here."

"Because they all have someone to talk to. Besides, you're a bit like me." She took my arm and guided my body in a half circle, taking in the entire room. "I can tell that it's your first time in a club. Why did you come here today, on the last day of your life?"

"I came because that's where everyone else seemed to be." It sounded stupid. I was just as lonely in here as I was in my hotel room. At least it was air conditioned and cool back there. In here it was starting to get stuffy.

"Exactly." She tilted her head. "Come, dance with me. We might as well if no one else is going to.' She took my hand and we got onto the dance floor, moving with the fast music. She was laughing, her arms grabbing my shoulders. "If you could do anything right now, what would it be?"

"I used to think I'd do everything on my bucket list but I know that I wouldn't. I just want to be home with people who love me." I thought back to my empty notifications. If they loved me, wouldn't they reach out to me? How come they abandoned me on the very last day of my life.

Three songs played and we just stayed on the floor, swaying and not talking. I was imagining the scene in space. Gods fist was heading straight for earth, ready to annihilate everyone on the surface. It was strange. We humans thought we were so invincible but we were just a speck in a universe of chaos.

The TV in the corner flickered. A reporter appeared. "Hello America! The moment we have been dreading is here. The asteroid is now visible in the sky above America. Scientists are guessing that we have, at most, a couple hours."

"Come on." I grabbed Claire's hand and led her outside. When we stepped into the parking lot, I realized that a lot of people were out. They were pointing at the glowing dot in the air. Some were taking pictures and I saw one girl posting it to her Instagram. I shook my head. Humanity was stupid.

"It's so pretty." Claire commented. She sat on the pavement and continued tio stare at it. I sat beside her and we looked up together, watching as it grew closer.

One hour passed. It was a lot bigger now. About the size of a basketball. When two passed, it was so big that I expected the world to explode at any minute. It was dark. The suns light had been covered and we were sitting in complete darkness.

"I'm scared." Claire sniffed. I realized she was crying so I wrapped my arm around her and gave her a hug. She turned her face towards me and leaned in.

We were kissing when the world exploded.

A/N Wow, I had no plans to write this but I suddenly felt compelled to. I really like the premise. I don't know how good it actually is. I didn't get enough of the fear factor into this, but I'm quite satisfied with it.