Dinner's Ready

The knock on the door was the only thing that could save me from falling off my own thoughts.

These essays were driving me crazy, I didn't notice that it was time to give some nutrition for my body.

"Sam, dinner's ready!"

By that saying the knocking sound was unheard again. I guess leaving my work for about 20 minutes eating dinner wouldn't make these essays disappear, right?

I closed my laptop, but my mind still hadn't close my thoughts about the essay's topic, microplastic. It was said that plastic trash could be chopped up during it's journey after it got thrown away. Usually, the plastic entered a water body, followed the flow toward the river, passing the estuary, and eventually ended at the sea.

Travelling such a long distance, the trashes wouldn't be intact when they arrived at the sea. The plastic were becoming small pieces, got eroded along the way again creating smaller particles. This is what they call microplastic.

Oh come on, I was making my way toward the dining room and all I could think was course material?

The smiling faces of my family was the thing that welcomed me when I got there. They have prepared a full meal table for everyone. Guess today's special dish was sea food, for my little sister was already chewing on a fish bone.

"Clara, you supposed to eat the meat only."

Laughter was filling the room as the youngest of the family was in action. But with sudden realization, the laughter left me surprised.

If we ate fish meat, then what did fish eat?

Fish ate smaller fish, or planktons. It was possible if microplastics in the ocean got through the fish's digestive system. So the bigger the fish, the greater the number of microplastic it contain.  Then, we humans were here to eat them. Don't forget about its capability to absorb toxic compounds.

I wasn't feeling well anymore. But even if I wanted to, the effort to prevent my family from eating these meals would be vain. What could cause the plastic to get in the ocean?

"A bottle of coke for everyone!"

"Here's the straw, put it in your glass."

"I bought a bag of food on the way home. Where should I put it?"

"Honey, could you help me open up the wrappers please?"

I thought I get lost in my own thoughts again. In only one dinner, my family would throw these many plastics, what about in a day, a week, multiplied with other families' dinner waste?

Were we putting plastic on our own plates?

Were we putting toxic materials on our meals?