chapter three

Ara's POV

Yerim had been nagging me about my behavior the entirety of our first period. 'Why did we leave so soon? We still had like ten more minutes.' 'Ara, you've been acting really weird recently, where did you go on Friday night?' Her questions were driving me insane, so I was beyond relieved to lose her in the crowd during transition time.

I loved Yerim, I really did, but sometimes her curiosity and talkative nature was too much for me to handle. Maybe this was why Donghyuck had another person to bicker with, these two are probably so alike they get on each other's nerves.

At this point, I was sure that I had to talk to Jaemin and sort everything out, I could not have anyone else figure out my feelings. Maybe Jaemin and I could set things straight and we could help each other get over our crushes rather than pursue them.

Just to my luck, my next period was with Jaemin, as well as Jeno and Areum. Although, I didn't really mind because History was definitely my favorite subject. Something about learning of people's past mistakes made me feel a lot better about my current life choices.

When I entered through the doors of Mr. Nakamoto's classroom, a frown etched onto my face as I saw the sight before me. Areum sat at my seat, next to Jeno, with her papers sprawled out all over the table. They looked like they were having a very important conversation as Jeno was nodding at whatever Areum was saying and furiously scribbling on his paper. His brows were slightly raised as they always were whenever he was trying to focus.

Before I knew it, my eyebrows furrowed with confusion and heat was travelling up to my ears. Where the frick was I supposed to sit now? Jeno could have just asked me and I would have given Areum my seat with no hesitation.

Suddenly, an arm snaked its way around my shoulder, catching me off guard as my body jumped at the contact. I snapped my head ready to throw this person onto a nearby desk, only to be met with Jaemin's doe eyes.

"Way to make yourself less obvious, sweetheart," Jaemin said as he rubbed circles around my shoulders. My eyes were igniting fire and I could only watch as Jaemin smiled at the couple's direction. If my eyes were igniting fire, then his dark brown orbs were shooting daggers at his best friend and his lover.

"It's alright, you can sit with me." He leaned down to whisper in my ear as he dragged me to his table.

Disappointment dripped down my heart as it was starting to hit me that Jeno's focus really was his girlfriend now. One of the reasons to why I liked History so much was because Jeno and I had this class together every year, we sat together every year, and we did the annual project together every year, it was like tradition. This class was like a pillar to our friendship.

"See, this is exactly why I figured it out." Jaemin sighed, leaning back on his chair. A small smile shadowing over his features.

Jaemin's seat was a couple rows away from the back contrary to my seat with Jeno, which was in front of the classroom. It was definitely an unfamiliar surrounding.

"Shut up, Nana." I rolled my eyes and looked to the front as Mr. Nakamoto greeted the class, but every now and then, my eyes would find themselves peering at Jeno tracing his fingers over Areum's hands.

🏶🏶🏶

When the bell rang for lunch, I was beyond ecstatic about the fact that I was half way done with this horrible day. I was putting my belongings into my backpack as Jaemin stood in front of me, fiddling with his phone. We were going to same place, so might as well go together.

"You know, Ara, we still have to talk," Jaemin started once I was finished packing.

We started to walk to the Cafeteria in utter silence as I tried to find the right words to tell Jaemin, the only noise that could be heard was our steady footsteps and the pitter patter of the rain hitting the windows. I was trying to make sure that I didn't say or do anything that would make him upset. The hallways were almost empty today, with only a few students conversing next to their lockers.