Where We Started; Prologue

Jackie
"What should we do today?" Kim asked as she paced back and forth in my bedroom, fiddling with one of the cats toys as she walked.

"We could go shopping." Lexi suggested.

"We do that every weekend. Besides the boys can't withstand another shopping trip." Kim replied as she plopped down on a beanbag chair next to Andrea.

"There's a new coffee shop downtown we could try." Luke suggested.

"Went there two weeks ago with Kyle; it wasn't that great." I answered.

"Kyle or the coffee?" John muttered.

"The coffee." I snapped. I know what my friends think of Kyle but after two years you'd think they'd ease up on him.

"Let's just hang out here; Jackie's parents aren't here so the hot tub isn't in use." Charlie suggested." John can run home and get suits for the guys and the girls can borrow your stuff."

"It's December in Colorado but whatever floats your boat." I replied as I walked over to my dresser and pulled out four pairs of suits and tossed three to Kim, Andrea, and Lexi.

"Before anyone goes anywhere, might I suggest studying for exams. They're in a few days." Andrea suggested.

An array of "boos" erupted from everyone else as Andrea put her arms up in surrender." It was merely a suggested."

"John go ahead and go." Luke said before John rushed out the door. I watched his car leave the driveway in a hurry and a few minutes later he was back and all the girls were changed.

The boys stripped down and got their suits on before racing down the stairs to the deck.

"Tell me again how your parents can afford this sweet pad?" Kim asked as we walked down the stairs.

"Dad's a retired brain surgeon, mom is a successful business owner, and they only had me and Nate." I answered. Since the beginning of high school I've been self conscious about my parents being rich and living in an oversized house-no matter how many people tell me I'm lucky- it's not something to be proud of.

"You girls coming or what?!" Luke called from the patio doors.

"God how did we get so lucky to be friends with the three hottest guys at school?" Kim asked as she drooled over Luke.

"Ew; one of those boys is my brother." Lexi gagged.

"Maybe you should tell Jackie that; she's had an eye for him since fourth grade." Andrea smirked.

"I'm dating Kyle and John is just a friend." I replied as we walked outside to the boys standing around the covered hot tub.

I would never admit this to the girls or anyone for that matter but I have, and always will, think of John as my first love. Even if he didn't love me back, I was still lucky enough to be his good friend.

The boys took the top off while I got it running. Once I came back everyone was sitting in the tub drinking cans of Bud light from my dad's massive stash.

"Want one?" Charlie asked, holding a can out to me as I got in and took a seat next to John. I gladly took it and sipped at it for a while.

"Has anyone thought about post high school plans?" Lexi asked.

"I have a few offers but I don't know where I want to go yet and my deadline is soon approaching." I said.

"Where?" John asked.

"Boston, Cincinnati, Northwestern, Northern Kentucky. I haven't heard back from Harvard yet though." I answered." Boston gave a pretty good scholarship offer but I'm waiting to hear if I got into their Summer Nursing Program before I accept anything."