Chapter 15

(B/g/f/n)'s face filled my phone's screen and I smiled, still balancing the ice pack on my eye.
"(Y/n)!" he grinned, but his smile quickly fell, "(Y/n)? What happened to you?"
"Er, long story. I don't think I'll be able to make it to our weekly sleepover. Something came up and everything became really complicated. I'll make it up to you as soon as I get back!"
"That's okay, I kinda expected that we'd have to postpone it. Moving on, what's been going on? What's Loki like? Is he really bad? What about the rest of the team?"
"Okay, okay, slow down," I laughed, "One question at a time!"
"Fine, what's Loki like?"
"He's actually not that bad! At least with me," I said, turning a light shade of pink.
"Really?! He tried to kill you last time I saw him!"
"Yeah, I guess something changed! He even helped me out when this happened," I gestured to my black eye.
"Wow," he said, "what happened anyway? I know you said it was a long story but I really want to know!"
Sighing, I reluctantly gave in and told him about the attack. He listened with wide eyes and an open mouth. "You have to promise to not tell anyone, okay?" I told (b/f/n).
"I promise!"
"Good!"
There was a knock on my door and Tony's voice came from behind it. "Ah, gotta go (b/f/n), boss needs to talk."
"Okay, I'll talk to you later!"
I hung up and opened my door. Tony stood in the hall with a worried look on his face that he was obviously trying to cover up.
"Hey boss what can I do for you?"
"Can I come in? I need to talk to you."
"Yeah, sure," I stepped aside and he walked in, gesturing for me to sit on my bed. I did so and he sat in my desk chair with his arms crossed. I felt like a child about to get lectured by her dad!
"I heard that you got jumped while trying to get to Loki?"
"Okay, Mr. Stark, it's not what you think! I know the others believe that I betrayed you guys and joined him, but I didn't! In fact, he told me to stay out of this and get somewhere safe but I didn't listen to him and when I figured out what he was trying to do, I left to try to stop him! I swe-"
"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay, I believe you! That's not where I was going with this though."
"Oh?"
"Actually I came here to tell you that I'm sending you back to New York. I heard about what happened to you so you'd likely be a target if there's another attack. The best place I can send you so that I can keep you safe and keep an eye on you is back in Stark tower so that's where I'm going to send you!"
"What?"
"(Y/n) it was a team decision."
I sighed and massaged my temple, realizing I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. Tony told me to pack my bag while he got a plane ready for me and told his girlfriend that I'd be staying with her until this whole fiasco was over. A few hours later, the jet was ready and I stood on the runway saying goodbye to my new friends.
"See you guys soon," I said, shaking hands with Captain Rogers. He smiled and bid me farewell as I boarded the private jet. The flight back to New York would take about 10 hours, so I would have time to catch up on the sleep I had missed that week, except for the fact that I wasn't allowed to sleep for the next 24 hours. That didn't stop my brain from conjuring up terrible thoughts, I was worried sick about Thor and Coulson's body kept popping up in my head.
I hugged my knees to my chest and tried to slow my breathing. A flight attendant walked over to me and put a hand on my shoulder.
"Are you okay?" she asked.
"Yeah, yeah just worried about my friends."
"Do you need me to get you anything?"
"Uh, just a cold cup of water would be great."
The tall woman nodded and left, leaving me to my thoughts again. It was dark outside my window so we'd likely be arriving soon. The flight attendant came back a minute later holding a cold bottle of water in her well manicured hand, and I thanked her for it. She sat down in the seat in front of me and watched me for a minute before asking, "So, what happened to you?"
"Hm?" I asked with a mouthful of cold water.
"How come Tony Stark sent you back without him? And what happened to your eye?"
I swallowed my water and told her about Loki, my meetings with him, and the attack. She listened intently and told me that having a villain as powerful as Loki care about me so much was a good thing, "They'll make sure you're safe!" she had said.
"Yeah, you're right. Whether or not I'll listen to him is another story," I said. She smiled and looked at her watch.
"We'll be landing soon so you might want to start getting ready."
"Thank you."
She nodded and walked off. I buckled my seat belt and a few minutes later we started our descent. Out of my window I could see New York's lights contrasted against the dark. We landed half an hour later, and I took a taxi from the airport to Stark tower.
Tony's girlfiend-a tall ginger haired woman named Pepper-met me at the door. She smiled when I slid out of the car and pulled my suitcase out of the trunk.
"You must be (y/n)!" she said and extended her hand.
"Yes, I am. Pepper, right?" I shook her hand.
"I am! It's a pleasure to meet you!"
"Pleasure to meet you too!"
She lead me inside and we took an elevator up a few floors. She told me about the building, where everything was, what floor to go to for which room, and how to use a few of Tony Stark's appliances to the building. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to let Jarvis know and either he, or I will try to take care of it."
"Jarvis?" I asked.
A slightly robotic man's voice filled the elevator, "I am Jarvis. It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. (L/n)!"
"What in the name of Philadelphian mongeese...?" I said under my breath. Pepper laughed and the voice, Jarvis, chuckled too.
"Is he like an Alexa?" I asked.
"Somewhat. Mr. Stark programmed me to act as his online Butler. If you need anything please let me know and I will see what I can do for you."
"Okay, uh, thanks!"
"You're welcome Ms. (L/n)!"
The elevator dinged a few seconds later and its doors slid open and Pepper led me down the hall to my room. She opened the door and said, "Here's your room! I hope it suits you!"
"It's great Ms. Potts, thank you!" She smiled and I wished her a good night. After she left I closed the door behind me and sighed deeply. I was exhausted! Unfortunately for me, I couldn't go to sleep, otherwise my brain could be damaged further. I flopped on the bed and thought about how I could entertain myself until morning.
"Hey Jarvis?"
"Yes Ms. (L/n)?"
"Does this place have a library?"