He Remembered

Christmas Special

Older!Varian and Older!Reader

Modern AU

Slight Reference to Friends (the TV show)

(F/N)= Friend's name

I figured I'd do this since I did Christmas headcannons for my BATIM Angels X Reader Book. So, I decided to do something short and sweet for this holiday special. I hope you enjoy this.

Merry Christmas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the night of Christmas Day and everyone was exchanging gifts. Rapunzel had just finished opening a gift from her boyfriend, Eugene. It was a sketchbook with a custom-made leather cover, which he had decorated with her name. You, while very anixous and excited, were patiently waiting for your turn as the pair shared a kiss under the mistletoe.

"Come on, guys! It's (Y/N)'s turn," Lance said, interrupting their tender moment. The happy couple moved back into the living room, holding hands. Everyone settled down as the brunette woman handed your first present to you.

"This one is from Varian," Rapunzel told you before you started to tear through the wrapping paper. Varian, unfortunately, was in Chicago, visiting some extended family for Christmas with his father. He promised to be back before New Year's, since Quirin had to stay and help his brother, who had cancer. So, basically, Varian was catching a plane back home alone.

You opened the box and looked at what was inside. Inside, an expensive custom-made necklace with your favorite flower and your birthstone laid on top of the blue velvet padding. You gasped and gently took out of the packaging, admiring it all the while. You couldn't believe it...

"Oh my god. He remembered," You whispered in awe, holding the necklace in the palm of your hand.

"What did he get you?" (F/N) asked, looking over your shoulder at the gift.

"Me and Varian were passing by this jewelry making shop. I saw a display for a necklace like this one. I told him it was just like the necklace my mom used to wear before my dad died."

"Wow, that must've cost him a small fortune. Customizable jewelry around here isn't cheap," Rapunzel chimed in, thinking about all the trouble the 17-year-old boy must've went through to get the necklace for you. She never knew Varian was willing to pool his money into something so costly.

"Yeah, well, remember a few years ago, when he had that crush on Cassandra and bought that crazy expensive amethyst amulet?" Eugene blurted out, unaware of the can of beans he just spilled. Everyone around you had looks of 'oh crap' and 'he screwed up' on their faces.

Unsure if you had heard him right or if you were going crazy, you asked him, "What did you just say?"

Eugene, after a moment, realized that he had said something that he promised to keep secret for Varian. He then tried to explain what he said, but he kept stumbling over his words out of panic. However, before he could get a full sentence out, you realized what was really going on.

"Oh my god!" You let out in utter shock, now making sense of the whole situation that had just presented itself to you. Eugene began to rub his temples out of anixety and panic, repeating 'no' under his breath in a frenzy.

"Why did I see it? I mean, when I first came to Florida, he had mentioned taking me out to a movie or on a picnic. But, nothing really happened after that," You explained, now realizing that the evidence was in front of you the whole time.

"You know, I don't think any of our lives will ever be the same, ever again," (F/N) let out dramatically. You and Rapunzel looked at (her/him/them) in confusion, unable to explain his sudden and weird change in behavior.

"Is there an off button on this kid?!" Eugene exclaimed loudly, gesturing towards your best friend sarcastically. You, however, ignored the snarky remark and continued to process this new bout of information.

"I mean, you and Varian. How could you not know?" Rapunzel asked, obviously referring to you being oblivious to Varian's low-key flirting.

"I don't know. I mean, I guess I've always been kinda oblivious to when people flirt with me," You said, being especially confused yourself. Everything to you felt different to you now with this news from this silent and joyful night. Your mind raced at a million miles an hour, so much questions running through your head non-stop.

Varian? After all this time? How did I not notice it?