Winds of Change

This is a story I wrote for the power of the pen writing contest at my local library. It ended up winning first place in my age category. Hope you like it!!!!😊

Kai always hated the smell of the hospital room. He couldn't quite describe it. It smelled of sick people but also cleaning supplies at the same time. He sighed and gazed at his sister in the bed. She was sound asleep, her light brown hair spread out on the pillow. The pulse machine beeped in the background. He had never found out what she had. They never told him. The nurses had always ignored him when they came. They would maybe (if she was awake) check if she was ok then rush out again.

"Kai," she whispered, hoarsely. She opened her eyes.

"Hey, Annie," he replied, getting up from his chair, "did you have a good sleep?"

He knelt by her side and grabbed her hand.

"Yeah..."

She seemed like she was glass and could shatter at any moment. Kai could remember before she was brought to the hospital. She was normal and heathy and...happy.

"Kai," she asked, interrupting his thoughts.

"Huh? Sorry, what did you say?"

"I said can I show you this."

She held out a notebook that was open wide, the pages overflowing with words.

"What is this," he wondered, taking the notebook.

"I wrote it."

He read through the words at the top of the page.

"Winds of Change by Annie Evans"

Kai smiled and began reading.

I swirl and bend around the trees. Snow covers its branches. I love this tree. I rattle its branches. I am sad because I always must be on the move. Never able to sit and enjoy a sunset or a quiet winter scene. I fly away and look back mournfully as I fly farther and farther away. After traveling around the world, I come back to this tree again. It is now spring and there are flowers everywhere! As soon as the tree is in sight, I recognize it. I laugh and fly faster. I swirl around the familiar branches. Now they are covered by leaves. Suddenly, I hear a voice.

"Hello!"

I look down and see one of the leaves looking up at me. I brush past and return the greeting.

"You always seem to be on the move, what's your name," he questions, curiously.

"I am Lady Wind and I don't know why I'm always moving. I can't stop," I answer, rushing past again.

"Interesting," replies the leaf, watching me go past, "I wish I could do that. I wish I could travel the world and go to the highest place and see the amazing view. Right now, all I get to look at is grass, grass, and more grass!"

"It's very nice grass," I say, trying to comfort him, "why don't you go and see the world instead of staying put?"

"because I can't! I'm stuck to the tree! Even if I could break free I couldn't leave the tree yet. I can't until.... the right time."

"Oh... well, I've been in all kinds of different places! I would tell you all about it, but I've already stayed too long!"

We exchange farewells and I fly away, once again upset to leave. Time passes and finally, it's summer! Again, I come to the same tree, this time on purpose. I need to tell the leaf about all my travels! He is happy to see me and I tell him about Mount Everest.

"Oh," he exclaims, waving about with joy, "if I could go anywhere that's where I'd go, straight to the top! The view would be amazing!"

Soon, yet again, I must leave the poor leaf sitting on the branch. After what seems like forever, I stumble upon the tree again. It's fall now (one of my favorite seasons). The leaf is now bright orange.

"Leaf, you're looking well!"

"What can I say? Orange is the new green! Now tell me more about Mount Everest."

I start to tell him when I accidentally push him off the tree!

"Oh no," I exclaim, panicked

I desperately try to stick him back on by flying at the branch again and again.

"Stop... stop.... stop!"

I circle around frantically.

"My time has come, Lady Wind," he murmurs.

"What's going to happen," I ask, becoming anxious.

"Well," he declares, looking at me deep in the eyes, "I turn brown and...."

"Oh..."

I know what he is going to say. Sorrow bellows in me. I surround him and cradle him. Suddenly, an idea pops into my head. I blast off, even faster than a rocket.

"Where are you going," he screams, trying to be heard over my gusts

"The place you've dreamed of," I respond, smiling.

Soon, we are at the highest point in the world. I set leaf softly on the snow. He stares in awe at the wonder around him. I silently fly away and leave him to finally be free.

"It's a good story," Kai praised, giving the notebook back, "but its kind of sad."

"Not to me," she sighed as she gazed out the window, "Leaf finally got to live his dream before...."

She fell quiet and frowned. Her dazzling brown eyes fell to the floor.

"I would give anything not to go all the way to Everest but just to go outside to the hill out there," she said, pointing to the hill outside of the window, "I miss going outside."

Kai took her hand and stared at her with his ice blue eyes.

"If it's the last thing I do, I will make sure you get to the top of that hill and more," he promised, giving her an encouraging smile and kissing her forehead.

Annie gave a weak smirk and ruffled his messy, black hair. After talking for a while, the nurse came in to tell Kai it was time to go. He never wanted to leave her, but he had no choice. The next day, Kai was about to open the door to Annie's room when he heard a couple of nurses whispering, frantically.

"So, the medicine isn't working," said a nurse with short, red hair.

"No," exclaimed another one, "and Dr. Morgen doesn't have anything else to try! There's nothing else to do. I don't think we will ever find out what's wrong with that poor girl! She's growing weaker and weaker by the day!"

Kai was in shock.

"It's probably another girl, not Annie," he told himself, sighing.

"Poor little Annie," she mourned.
Kai's whole world came crashing down around him.Kai rushed into the room, having one objective on his mind.

"Kai? What's going on," Annie exclaimed, startling awake.

Kai didn't answer. He just scooped her up in his arms, plopped her in her wheelchair, and wheeled her out the door as fast as he

"Stop," called the nurses, "bring her back here. Now!"

"Where are we going," screamed Annie, gripping the arms of the chair so tight her knuckles turned white.

"To the place you've dreamed of," he replied, smiling.

Kai threw open the doors of the hospital. He sprinted on to the grass as the wind pushed Annie's hair back. He pushed her up and up the hill. When he got to the top, it was worth it. Annie was in awe. Her face lit up with pure joy. Kai kissed her forehead and looked at the view. Kai watched Annie close her eyes and soak in the sun. She was finally happy. She was finally free.