What Remains, Pt. I

Ros wasn't a ghost, but she moved like one.

She was as quiet as the afternoon shadows she darted through, as quick as the breezes that whispered through the pines. Her body was simply another part of the high sierra forest, winking through another autumn day like an afterthought.

Even though she had swept down these paths a thousand times before, she pretended she had not. The moment she thought she understood the forest and its secrets, that's when she got hurt. So although she knew the burbling sound to her right was a brook, she kept her hand on her blade. It went beyond her Scouts training -- it was because her life depended on it. Other lives, too. Especially now.

Exchanges used to be easy. Routine. Now, they were always one breath away from another bloodbath.

The terrain leveled. The clearing approached, the same one that had been the setting of too many nightmares. Ros settled behind her usual boulder, and took in the surroundings. The clearing looked innocent in the daytime. Open and wide, with low grasses and dainty wildflowers, and nothing but an endless stretch of blue above. But Ros knew of the horrors it had seen. That she had seen done, and done herself.

Something trampled lightly through the pine needles behind her. It was big, could be a deer or -- Ros cocked her head, then smirked. It was Danielle, trying to sneak up on her. But Danielle was a Hunter, not a Scout. So Ros heard her breath and smelled her sweat before she could get within earshot.

"Stay low," Ros said, before Danielle could try to startle her.

"Damn it." Danielle slid next to her, both their eyes level and gazing at the clearing. "How far off did you hear me?"

"You don't want to know."

"Show off," Danielle said. Ros chuckled.

"How many times do I need to tell you -- if you actually did succeed in startling me, it'd be the last thing you do," Ros pointed out, eyes still ahead. Danielle slipped her fingers into Ros'.

"I've heard that before."

Ros said nothing, but squeezed Danielle's fingers. Danielle laid a quick kiss on Ros' temple. Ros flinched.

"Don't do that," Ros hissed. She quickly scanned the clearing -- no sign of anyone yet. She exhaled relief.

"Why not?"

"You know why. If Victoria sees -- then she'll know --"

Danielle snorted. "Why would Victoria care about who's getting you horizontal every night, and most afternoons as well?" Ros resisted the urge to cover her face with a hand, even though the blush that spread across her cheeks was flaming red. "Victoria, leader of the Pride, our sworn enemy, could care less about who you're shtupping. She just wants our supplies for the Exchange." But Ros shook her head.

"If Victoria knows I care about you, she'll use that information. Every interaction with her is dangerous, because she'll use any advantage," Ros said, and not for the first time.

Danielle rolled her eyes. Danielle was fearless, sometimes to her own detriment. It was one of the things Ros loved most about her. It helped Ros pretend she was fearless, too.

"How far behind are the others?" Ros asked, her Scouting training like armor now that she could force her attention away from Danielle.

"Less than a quarter mile. Waiting for your signal."

Ros nodded.

"Go back to the others. Let them know the coast seems clear. I'll send the signal soon."

For once, Danielle didn't argue. But she did grab Ros' chin, pull her face to hers, and kiss her, long and slow. Ros' head swam when Danielle let her go.