What Remains, Pt. II

Ros rose early, as usual. She lit a fire to stave off the morning chill, gnawing on Miles' venison and some dried manzanita berries. Since Kegan was assigning double shifts today, she needed the calories. And also, while she hated to admit it, Miles was right. With her job as head of the Scouts, she couldn't be going hungry.

When Ros emerged, the camp was already beginning to hum. Heather brewed tea with pine needles and herbs, and offered some to a friend. Others pretended not to notice as Damon snuck out of Elizabeth's hut again. Ron stretched and yawned loudly as he and Nate traded rations. As people finished their meager breakfasts, they slowly wandered towards Kegan's hut to receive their duties. Ros couldn't help but to notice most Remains had slumped postures and bluish bags under their eyes. She wished she had a comforting word, a joke or a smile. Danielle would know what to do. So would Jack.

But before Ros could think of something, Kegan muscled his way next to her.

"I thought you'd be in your hut, breaking our people's spirits with double duties," Ros said, relieved she didn't have to come up with anything kind or helpful to say.

"I made Miles do it," Kegan said. "That way, they're mad at him, not me."

"No one can be mad at Miles," Ros pointed out. Kegan nodded.

"Exactly."

"So what did you assign me?" Ros asked. Kegan cast his eyes around the line.

"Baby-sitting," he said. Ros raised an eyebrow. "I was going to put you on salt fires but --" Ros groaned.

"Salt fires? Seriously? I hate salt fires."

"Everyone hates the salt fires."

Lucky for them, the Border River was an estuary. They were several miles from the coast but it was still salty enough to mine. Salt collection was tedious and time-consuming, but the Remains wouldn't have lasted a year without it. They used salt for medicines, leather-making, pelt tanning, and especially food preservation. Salty greens and berries tasted terrible, but they were better than starving.

"Anyway," Kegan said as the line inched forward. "Miles convinced me to put you on baby-sitting duty." Ros didn't have to guess who she was baby-sitting. And she made a mental note to thank Miles, even if she was an awkward mess the whole time. "We can't afford to send anyone Scouting right now. We need as many people as possible to harvest salt, pack rations, purify water--"

"So my Scouts will work in camp, and I'll baby-sit," I said, nodding. "Good. What will the Hunters be doing?"

Kegan huffed.

"We've hunted every living thing within a five-mile radius."

"So go out on a ten-mile radius."

"I'd rather stay at camp." He lowered his voice. "It'd be safer if the Hunters were here should things...happen."

That's why she and Kegan worked together so well. He thought defensively. She thought offensively. She had been thinking that, if he and his Hunters weren't here, and something did happen, they could return to rescue survivors. Or start the Remains anew. After all, what did Kegan think he could do against the Pride's AKs? But Ros said none of this.

"Honestly?" Kegan actually sighed. "It would be nice to rest." That's how Ros knew how tired he was. Kegan never rested.

"We'll rest when the Pride leaves us alone," Ros said. The moment it came out of her mouth, she realized it was less comforting than she had intended. Ros tried again. "If you want, I can go out on the Hunt with you, help out," she offered. Kegan grabbed his heart dramatically.