Sickness

Your POV

As you walked away from the clinic, Mellissa started coughing again. I hurried back to my house and started dosing her with the medicine. I worried about her as she hawked phlegm and spat it at the neighbour's car and grinned at me. I smiled back. Mr. Lenton opposite was the most nosy neighbour in the history of neighbours. He was unbearable. Peeping here, peeping there. In revenge, I played numerous pranks on him- dough, flour, dirty water, arranging to meet him incognito and then not being there. The entire neighbourhood was in on this now, too. I smiled as he rushed out to polish the car and glower at us. 

We mostly kept to ourselves as we didn't want any trouble. I worked full-time at a fast-food restaurant. I brought Mellissa along with me and she was now the mascot of the restaurant. She had taken over the ball pit and loved to astound the parents by saying 'You are an absolute juggernaut!' to the kids. She just loved to see their shocked faces. After that, she would roll backwards into the ball pit, laughing her ass off. She was now friends with the other kids at the ball pit. They would patronise the restaurant regularly just to see her. Now, I had settled into a comfortable schedule. By working overtime, we managed well and had occasional times for jaunts.

As I gave her a bath to try and lessen the fever, a crash resounded from downstairs. I left Melly in the bath splooshing water everywhere and plucked the pendant off, sneaking downstairs. 

'Halves?'

My past had came back to haunt me again...