-A is For Ana-

The dim-lit concrete hallways unfold before by my eyes. I stand alone in the school, holding a few reflectant plastic binders and multi-colored folders.

I shake my head side to side, wincing at the autumn air responsible for the chilling winds nipping at the tights beneath my dress.

I check my watch, which contrasts from my freckled pale skin quite proudly with it's shiny black features.

6:15 PM

Wasn't orientation set to take place at 6:00? I groan at my idiocy, my cardboard-brown locks of hair falling onto my back as I crane my head up to the ceiling.

If the school isn't open, I'm trespassing.

I turn to head back to my dad's car. I push open the metal lever on the heavy blue door to do so. It requires all of my strength, and a strong grip on my folders.

Once I reach the outdoors, immediately regret it. Thin tights along with a light dress hardly protected me against the howling evening winds.

I race back to the parking lot, probably looking like a fool. I contract  my neck in hope of saving my makeup from this horror. I hold my binders to my head to shield my eyes from the sun. This presses my hair is in my face, and I tumble over.

The rocky gravel of the parking lot greets me with new scars on my knees and elbows. I'm certain no one will be driving here anytime soon, so I sit still. Letting the wind nip me, blowing my hair around and all. Once you take a moment to yourself, the weather can actually be enjoyable.

The sky had quickly darkened due to the coming of winter soon. So the sun no longer stung my green eyes.

A pair of headlights rolled into the school's lot, startling me awake.

I quickly gather my belongings to find I had not only permanently stained my dress with dirt, but also ripped my tights.

Through the window of the vehicle- which was a large gray truck- is a girl about my age, holding similar school supply. I check my watch.

6:35 PM

Did I really sit in the dirt for fifteen minutes?

My thoughts were interrupted by a figure approaching me... it was the girl.

She runs up to me with such delicacy, not squinting, her hair can't wipe her in the face because it is secure in a tight black braid, which looms down her back.

"Excuse me?" She says, shifting her folders onto one arm to wave me over. I tilt my head in question.

"Do you know where the orientation ceremony is?" She smiles, her dark freckles stand out on top of her dimples.

I feel my face heat up.

"I think it got rescheduled. I wasn't told about it." I frown, glancing away from her face in fear of blushing harder.

"Me neither." She sighs. She also was wearing a sun dress, which compliments her tan skin beautifully.

She glances around the parking lot.
"Do you have anyone picking you up?"

I shake my head. A hard thing to do when the power of the wind sets my neck in place. "I'm about to head home, though." My white dress tangles from the wind, an accurate depiction of what's running through my head right now.

She looks back to the grey truck she originally came out of. "Would you like to ride home with me?"

I smile. "I'm okay, thanks!"

"I insist!" She grabs my freckled hand, and starts pulling me back to her truck, smiling sweetly.

I smile too, hunching over my nearly-damaged school supplies.

The gravel kicks up onto my plastic flats, giving them a musty look at the tips.

Once we both come to a halt, breathing heavily, I peer over the tall truck doors to look at the driver.

It was a woman who resembled the girl I had just met, but shorter, and more exhausted looking.

Despite this, they wave and grin sweetly. Is the cuteness genetic?

She must've heard the situation, because she doesn't have a problem letting me ride back.

"Hello, honey!" As the woman smiles, wrinkles rise around her dimples.

"Hi." I smile wider. What a positive duo!

The girl steps into the brown truck. It has a chipped red stripe running through the sides. As she steps in, strands of her long, black braid trickle my nose. I decide not to say anything.

In addition, her red flat kicks up dirt onto my dress, which is already ruined. Screw you K-Mart, and your cheap dresses.

She gets herself situated, and squishes up against the short woman, who I assume is her mother. She gestures for me to join them, and I gladly oblige. I tuck my dress closely to my legs to hide the tears on my tights.

I sit alongside the window, and close the door, now protected from the chilling wind.

The girl turns to me, allowing me to see all of her beautiful details up close. She reaches her hand out, displaying the yellow pattern on her nails.

"I'm Camren." She announces. She coils her upper lip behind her bottom lip.

I reach out my dirty hand. I regret sitting in the dirt like I did. I shake her hand.

"I'm Ana."

BONUS ART/ATHOR'S NOTE:

Quick sketch of Ana!

I'm going to try to shoot for one update every one or two weeks, I haven't really decided

The cover is also temporary!